Jenkins 2.0 alpha release available

R. Tyler Croy

Feb 29, 2016, 6:39:22 PM2/29/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
As I mention in this blog post: https://jenkins-ci.org/blog/2016/02/29/jenkins2-alphas/

The first Jenkins 2.0 alpha downloads are available (yay!). You can read more
about it on the 2.0 landing page (https://jenkins-ci.org/2.0/), which also
includes the links the download various native packages of the 2.0 alpha.

I'm going to be linking to this thread from the page and blog post for
feedback, so by all means, download it and play around with it!

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3F51E16F
signature.asc

Dirk Heinrichs

Mar 1, 2016, 2:31:40 AM3/1/16
Am 01.03.2016 um 00:39 schrieb R. Tyler Croy:

You can read more
about it on the 2.0 landing page (https://jenkins-ci.org/2.0/)

The link to "the 2.0 plan" on this page is dead.

Bye...

    Dirk
--

Dirk Heinrichs, Senior Systems Engineer, Engineering Solutions
Recommind GmbH, Von-Liebig-Straße 1, 53359 Rheinbach

Nicolas Geraud

Mar 1, 2016, 4:11:58 AM3/1/16
to Jenkins Users
I think that tabs should be on a single row with left and right arrow to display hidden tabs like in https://www.google.com/design/spec/components/tabs.html#tabs-usage.

Is this has been discussed elsewhere ?

Maciej Jaros

konda...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2016, 9:59:39 AM3/1/16
to Jenkins Users

I am behind proxy and a blank popup (I guess the registration screen) is blocking me from accessing Jenkins web interface. Can you please suggest a work around.

Thank you
Jenkins_alpha.png

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 1, 2016, 11:07:47 AM3/1/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I think that tabs should be on a single row with left and right arrow to display hidden tabs like in https://www.google.com/design/spec/components/tabs.html#tabs-usage.

Is this has been discussed elsewhere ?

 I assume you mean the tabs in the configuration pages?

Yes, there have been a lot of conversations about these things, mainly in the dev list I believe.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Eric Smalling

Mar 1, 2016, 11:26:26 AM3/1/16
to Jenkins Users
Has anyone posted a Docker Hub image yet?  (I see several "jenkins2" named ones out there, but the dates on them lead me to believe they are not this.)

Nicolas Geraud

Mar 1, 2016, 12:23:37 PM3/1/16
to Jenkins Users
Yes, I mean the tabs in the configuration pages. Too late to change, thanks for the reply.

Christophe Furmaniak

Mar 1, 2016, 3:08:40 PM3/1/16
to Jenkins Users
I just published one here: https://hub.docker.com/r/looztra/jenkins-20/ (just adapted the "official" Dockerfile to the 2.0 dl url)

Baptiste Mathus

Mar 1, 2016, 5:03:26 PM3/1/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, jenkinsci/jenkins:2.0-alpha-2 is also available.

Cheers

Daniel Beck

Mar 1, 2016, 5:14:57 PM3/1/16

On 01.03.2016, at 17:26, Eric Smalling <eric.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone posted a Docker Hub image yet?

jenkinsci/jenkins:2.0-alpha-2 should be it. I added a link to https://jenkins-ci.org/2.0/

Daniel Beck

Mar 1, 2016, 5:16:13 PM3/1/16

On 01.03.2016, at 15:59, konda...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am behind proxy and a blank popup (I guess the registration screen) is blocking me from accessing Jenkins web interface. Can you please suggest a work around.

This should actually disappear after a while (30 seconds?) and tell you Jenkins cannot access the internet. Does it remain visible even after a long time?

Mike Bayliss

Mar 2, 2016, 8:59:36 AM3/2/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Is the Ubuntu package supposed to be available yet? The link just gives me:

The requested URL /debian-rc/jenkins_2.0_all.deb was not found on this server.

Mike

Mike Bayliss

Mar 2, 2016, 9:03:30 AM3/2/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
OK - I've the debian/ubuntu package - it's at http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian-rc/binary/jenkins_2.0_all.deb.

The link needs correcting on the 2.0 landing page.

Mike

R. Tyler Croy

Mar 2, 2016, 11:12:43 AM3/2/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Wed, 02 Mar 2016, Mike Bayliss wrote:

> OK - I've the debian/ubuntu package - it's at
> http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/debian-rc/binary/jenkins_2.0_all.deb.
>
> The link needs correcting on the 2.0 landing page.

I've corrected this
(https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/commit/fc6239273692b4f4ecb852d9f47fa1bb1ab6e398)
and it will appear on the site shortly.

Thanks for the catch.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/CAC-P8uuJLgvfVjjMciC6m88D%2Bk%2BYLUGp2oGEYbv46Peis%2BWj5w%40mail.gmail.com.

signature.asc

Byron Kim

Mar 2, 2016, 12:51:14 PM3/2/16
to Jenkins Users
I'm using the new Dockerfile and grabbed all the new files.  My Dockerfile has some added steps so I put those in as well and I mount it to a specific volume.  I ran the new container against the volume mount and can't really "tell" if I'm on the correct release or not.

It does say 2.0-alpha-2 on the bottom right, but that can just be pulled from the ENV Variable?  Any way for me to check for specific differences?  FYI - the Initial Setup did not run since my previous plugins, etc were already loaded.

I was running 1.642 previously.

Thanks!
Byron

Byron Kim

Mar 2, 2016, 12:53:39 PM3/2/16
to Jenkins Users
I should note that I ran the container without mapping and the Initial Setup window did pop up so I guess that should be valid.  I can't remember exactly, but I had the config.xml file still in my directory and I think Jenkins was reading that file initially.  I can't remember if moving the config.xml out of the jenkins home helped show the correct version.

as_ku...@yahoo.com

Mar 8, 2016, 5:21:53 AM3/8/16
to Jenkins Users, m...@beckweb.net
I am also behind proxy and having the same problem. The blank popup is still visible after even minutes.

Adding HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY, NO_PROXY, http_proxy, https_proxy and no_proxy to catalina.bat do not work. I am going to check with security team whether there is something blocked.

When I press F12 in Chrome, I see following request is sent constantly(the number at the end changes for each request):

Here is the result of those requests:

{"status":"ok","data":{"updatesite":"UNCHECKED","internet":"FAILED"}}

Also, the following warning is thrown while Jenkins is being getting ready:

08-Mar-2016 11:43:15.186 WARNING [UpdateCenter.init] hudson.model.UpdateCenter.updateDefaultSite Upgrading Jenkins. Failed to update default UpdateSite. Plugin upgrades may fail.
 java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
at java.net.TwoStacksPlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)

as_ku...@yahoo.com

Mar 9, 2016, 2:07:46 AM3/9/16
to Jenkins Users, m...@beckweb.net
Our security team confirmed that;
  • my requests do not pass through proxy server although I use HTTP_PROXY, HTTPS_PROXY and so.
  • my computer try to access following IPs which are blocked by our firewall:

as_ku...@yahoo.com

Mar 9, 2016, 5:08:13 AM3/9/16
to Jenkins Users, m...@beckweb.net
I figured out that I mixed where and how to define proxy configuration for Java applications: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/proxies.html

Adding -Dhttp.proxyHost, -Dhttp.proxyPort, -Dhttps.proxyHost, -Dhttps.proxyPort and -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts to JAVA_OPTS in catalina.bat did the trick.

Sven Schultschik

Mar 9, 2016, 6:13:33 AM3/9/16
to Jenkins Users, m...@beckweb.net
Hi,

we have a very complex network infrastructure and not every computer is allowed to access the internet. So Jenkins should also work without any internet connection. In earlier releases there was no problem when Jenkins doesn't have any internet connection.

The interessting part is, that Jenkins works when I go with localhost:8080, when I try to access Jenkins from another computer by IP:8080 I have that popup which doesn't go away.

regards

Daniel Beck

Mar 9, 2016, 7:47:07 AM3/9/16

On 09.03.2016, at 11:08, as_kumlali via Jenkins Users <jenkins...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I figured out that I mixed where and how to define proxy configuration for Java applications: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/proxies.html
>
> Adding -Dhttp.proxyHost, -Dhttp.proxyPort, -Dhttps.proxyHost, -Dhttps.proxyPort and -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts to JAVA_OPTS in catalina.bat did the trick.

FWIW we've reworked part of the setup since alpha-2, and expect this issue will be resolved.

Sven Schultschik

Mar 9, 2016, 11:04:35 AM3/9/16
to Jenkins Users, m...@beckweb.net
1.) Sounds good. Is there anywhere a scedule for releases?

2.) Will plugin developement be changed anyhow for Jenkins 2.0?

R. Tyler Croy

Mar 11, 2016, 4:04:41 PM3/11/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

A follow-up on this thread, we released alpha3 today with the new security
setup and some other UI improvements, read more about it here:
<https://jenkins-ci.org/blog/2016/03/11/new-jenkins-20-preview/>

signature.asc

as_ku...@yahoo.com

Mar 15, 2016, 2:12:57 AM3/15/16
to Jenkins Users, m...@beckweb.net
alpha-3 still needs -Dhttp.proxyHost and -Dhttp.proxyPort in JAVA_OPTS of catalina.bat. Otherwise blank pop-up shows up indefinitely.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 15, 2016, 12:42:49 PM3/15/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Beck
I created https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-33557 to track this. Any further confirmations from other people are welcome.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Truc Nguyen

Mar 22, 2016, 12:03:09 PM3/22/16
to Jenkins Users

Hi,

I would like to provide some feedback on Jenkins 2.0 alpha releases.
So I hope this is the right place to ask questions :-)

BTW I really like the highlights that Jenkins 2.0 alpha release already provide.
Looking forward to the next steps!

Questions

1. Offline executor

It looks like a Pipeline job does not appear in the left side panel.
It was useful in order to abort a pipeline without having to open the pipeline job’s page.
Any reason whyc it’s been removed?

2. Aborting a pipeline

When aborting a pipeline job:

  • current jobs are aborted
  • but future jobs are still scheduled… I was expecting that no job from the pipeline will start or continue to run once the pipeline is aborted.
  • After some time, a Click here to forcibly terminate running steps link appears in the pipeline’s output console though. Clicking on this link:
    • aborts pipeline
    • but jobs are still running

Could you please explain further this behaviour?

3. Graph view

I’ve been using the Build Flow plugin so far which provides a Graph view with quite useful information like job’s duration and status.
Any plan to add this view to the Pipeline plugin?

4. Main difference with Build Flow plugin

I could see the following enhancements with Pipelines but I am certainly missing some points:

  • DSL concision
  • DSL supports more step types
  • DSL supports more CD-oriented pipelines

Basically could you please provide a quick comparison with Build Flow?

5. Pipeline best practices

I would be interested in heraing best practices while using Pipelines.
Pipelines can orchestrate (launch jobs) but also they can contain build steps on their own.

So the question could be - in which case should I opt for inline steps or job instantiation?

Thanks in advance for considering my questions,
Cheers!

Truc

Daniel Beck

Mar 22, 2016, 3:15:20 PM3/22/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your feedback!

On 22.03.2016, at 17:03, Truc Nguyen <truc....@bonitasoft.com> wrote:

> 1. Offline executor
>
> It looks like a Pipeline job does not appear in the left side panel.
> It was useful in order to abort a pipeline without having to open the pipeline job’s page.
> Any reason whyc it’s been removed?

AFAIK this should only happen while another part of the pipeline is running and shows up in the executors list.

> 3. Graph view
>
> I’ve been using the Build Flow plugin so far which provides a Graph view with quite useful information like job’s duration and status.
> Any plan to add this view to the Pipeline plugin?

The Pipeline Stage View Plugin should offer an alternative for Pipeline. It gets installed by default on a new instance, at least in the current alpha.

Guido Zockoll

Mar 23, 2016, 9:31:41 AM3/23/16
to Jenkins Users
I tried alpha-4 and its really a great step. In the meantime i also looked at gitlab-ci (and Travis CI) and i am glad that we now have those job definitions files in Jenkins, too.

I am heavily user the config file provider plugin to inject a settings.xml file into my jobs in Jenkins 1.

In Jenkins 2 i cannot find an option to inject those files into the Jenkinsfile based Pipeline. I only found an example with references ~/.m2/settings.xml in the script, but how can i reference a provided settings file?

Again, Jenkins 2 ist great an i will switch as soon Jenins 2 goes GA.

Great work!

Guido

Daniel Beck

Mar 23, 2016, 11:28:54 PM3/23/16

On 23.03.2016, at 14:31, Guido Zockoll <gzoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In Jenkins 2 i cannot find an option to inject those files into the Jenkinsfile based Pipeline. I only found an example with references ~/.m2/settings.xml in the script, but how can i reference a provided settings file?

Config File Provider 2.9.2+ has support for Pipeline as a 'General Build Wrapper' (i.e. no special DSL, just generic support). Look for 'wrap' in the Snippet Generator and it'll help you build the DSL snippet to use it.

Mar 25, 2016, 6:47:41 PM3/25/16
to Jenkins Users
I cannot find documentation for the Jenkinsfile DSL format. It should be linked on the announcement page at (https://jenkins-ci.org/2.0/ and https://jenkins.io/2.0/) so that all the people who come will get a chance to look at it.

Daniel Beck

Mar 26, 2016, 12:51:25 PM3/26/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Given the thread title I'd like to point out we're now in beta:
https://jenkins.io/blog/2016/03/24/jenkins-2-beta-released/

-----

On 25.03.2016, at 23:47, E <emma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot find documentation for the Jenkinsfile DSL format. It should be linked on the announcement page at (https://jenkins-ci.org/2.0/ and https://jenkins.io/2.0/) so that all the people who come will get a chance to look at it.

Besides the Jenkins-specific stuff, it's essentially Groovy:
http://groovy-lang.org/

Here are some links that should get you started:
https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/
https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/jenkinsfile/
https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/steps/
https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-plugin/blob/master/basic-steps/CORE-STEPS.md
https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-plugin/blob/master/scm-step/README.md
https://github.com/jenkinsci/workflow-plugin/blob/master/cps-global-lib/README.md

I added links these from the Pipeline plugin wiki page.

David Karlsen

Mar 26, 2016, 2:02:52 PM3/26/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hm - I followed those links and found
https://jenkins.io/doc/pipeline/steps/email-ext/#emailext-extended-email

but got:
"java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: No such DSL method 'emailext' found
among [archive, bat, build, catchError, checkout, checkpoint,
deleteDir, dir, dockerFingerprintFrom, dockerFingerprintRun, echo,
error, fileExists, git, input, isUnix, jiraComment, jiraIssueSelector,
jiraSearch, load, mail, node, parallel, properties, pwd, readFile,
retry, sh, sleep, stage, stash, step, svn, timeout, tool, unarchive,
unstash, waitUntil, withDockerContainer, withDockerRegistry,
withDockerServer, withEnv, wrap, writeFile, ws]

at org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.cps.DSL.invokeMethod(DSL.java:107)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.cps.CpsScript.invokeMethod(CpsScript.java:112)"

was it introduced in a specific version?

David J. M. Karlsen - http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidkarlsen

Vincent Latombe

Mar 26, 2016, 2:45:05 PM3/26/16
to Jenkins Users
You need the corresponding plugin installed (https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Email-ext+plugin). It is mentioned in the documentation but it could be worth adding a link.

Vincent

Daniel Beck

Mar 26, 2016, 2:55:02 PM3/26/16

On 26.03.2016, at 19:02, David Karlsen <davidk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> was it introduced in a specific version?

Email-ext plugin 2.41. Not mentioned in its changelog, unfortunately.

Marcos Mendez

Mar 29, 2016, 11:21:14 AM3/29/16
to Jenkins Users
HI,

Is there a way to automatically skip/disable that initial setup wizard? I've got everything already pre-configured and just want to use the new war file.

Regards,
Marcos

R. Tyler Croy

Mar 29, 2016, 12:44:45 PM3/29/16

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, Marcos Mendez wrote:

> HI,
>
> Is there a way to automatically skip/disable that initial setup wizard?
> I've got everything already pre-configured and just want to use the new war
> file.

Use the system property `jenkins.install.runSetupWizard` and set to `false` in
your /etc/default/jenkins or wherever your JENKINS_ARGS might be defined
signature.asc

Marcos Mendez

Mar 29, 2016, 4:12:01 PM3/29/16
to Jenkins Users
Awesome! Thank you!

Daniel Beck

Mar 29, 2016, 4:55:43 PM3/29/16

On 29.03.2016, at 17:21, Marcos Mendez <marcosrm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to automatically skip/disable that initial setup wizard? I've got everything already pre-configured and just want to use the new war file.

To clarify, is this e.g. a Docker container where you already installed all the plugins? Because Jenkins should detect existing upgraded installations and skip it then automatically.

Daniel Beck

Mar 29, 2016, 5:40:34 PM3/29/16

On 29.03.2016, at 18:44, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:

> Use the system property `jenkins.install.runSetupWizard` and set to `false` in
> your /etc/default/jenkins or wherever your JENKINS_ARGS might be defined

Are you sure about that? AFAIU that system property can only enable (to override development mode), not disable.

jenkins user

Daniel Beck

Apr 9, 2016, 5:46:00 PM4/9/16

On 09.04.2016, at 20:21, jenkins user <k.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed it to a Windows box via the msi package. When I try to access it via the browser, it's asking me about the username and password (basic authentication prompt). What are the credentials?

Did you download the release candidate that was released this Thursday, or use an older (alpha or beta) download?

What URL did you access exactly? Is this a system that already had Jenkins installed once?

Fadi Al-Farah

Apr 11, 2016, 10:19:18 AM4/11/16
to Jenkins Users
Security needs a little bit of a rework in my opinion.

What I mean by that is, I think it's a bad idea to ONLY have one method of logging in. Currently the admin can only choose ONE of the following:

- Delegate to servlet container.
Jenkins’ own user database.
LDAP.
Unix user/group database.

I propose to be able to choose multiple methods of login (when it makes sense). So something like Jenkins' own user database + LDAP; this way if anything happens to the LDAP then the admin can still login and do stuff.. etc.

Thanks,

Fadi