trigger Jenkins build on git commit without using hook

Pulkit Lall

Nov 26, 2017, 11:23:48 PM11/26/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi,
We have a internal enterprise git repo (not github) which has many branches. I want Jenkins to trigger a build once checkin is made to git repo but I do not want to use git hooks.
I would like to know if there is any other way to trigger Jenkins build on git commit without using hooks.

TIA

Regards,
Pulkit Lall

Pulkit Lall

Nov 26, 2017, 11:34:18 PM11/26/17
to Jenkins Users
Also would not like to use time in polling (Sorry, forgot to add in original post)

Mark Waite

Nov 26, 2017, 11:49:27 PM11/26/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Can you explain why you don't want to use "hooks"?

Is your objection to webhooks (as used by github, bitbucket, gitea and others) or to repository hook scripts (like post-receive)?

The "polling must die" blog post from Kohsuke explains why the /git/notifyCommit technique is better than polling.  However, it is generally implemented as a post-receive hook in the git repository.  The post-receive hook script is called when commits are pushed to the repository.

Mark Waite

Pulkit Lall

Nov 26, 2017, 11:57:54 PM11/26/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi Mark,
Thank you for replying.

I am not against not using "hooks" but I do not want to update git repo and thus thought if there is a way to trigger Jenkins build on git commit without using hooks.
If there is no alternative then I will have to use git hooks.

Pulkit Lall

Pulkit Lall

Nov 30, 2017, 4:15:18 AM11/30/17
to Jenkins Users
I am able to trigger Jenkins job using git commit hook and now want to trigger Jenkins job with git commit for specific branch.
e.g. In my multi-configuration job, we have repo, branch, version, etc parameters.

Is there a way, we can trigger Jenkins job on git commit and supply the parameters to job.

I tried to add the following in post-commit hook, but did not work:
  --user USERNAME:PASSWORD \
  --form json='{"parameter": [{"PARAMETER_NAME_IN_JENKINS_JOB":"VALUE"]}'

TIA