Cancel Job aborts Agent Connection (JNLP)

JuBo

Mar 18, 2020, 4:29:26 AM3/18/20
to Jenkins Users

We run Jenkins 2.107.2 / 2.107.3 on Debian Linux server and >50 agents with linux, Win7, Win10 connected via JNLP.

Sometimes we use the possibility to cancel running jobs interactively without problems.

When upgrading the Jenkins server to 2.150.3 (and 2.176.2 and more recent releases) and the agent jars appropriately, we get trouble.
After canceling a job execution, the agent running the job looses the connection to the master.
All agent are connected via JNLP.

Anyone else observing similar problems?
I do not believe that we are the only users of JNLP, but do not understand why nobody else reports such a problem.
At least I find no similar reports.

Any ideas where to search, how to work around or solve the issue?
Its blocking us from upgrading Jenkins.

Thanks and Best Regards,
 Jürgen

Mark Waite

Mar 18, 2020, 1:23:30 PM3/18/20
to Jenkins Users
Did you upgrade the agent.jar that is used on your Jenkins agents?  Most connections launched from an external process (JNLP) will keep a local copy of the agent.jar file.  That local copy may be outdated and need an update.  Especially in a jump of 50 or more versions.  That is a one year jump in Jenkins releases, likely there have been remoting changes in that time.

The VersionColumn plugin can add a check to your Jenkins master which will complain when agent jar files are outdated.

JuBo

Mar 19, 2020, 3:44:01 AM3/19/20
to Jenkins Users
Yes, we upgraded it. I know how to check this in the UI as well as scripted on the master.

We tested this not only one year later but with different intermediate releases.
I've also created a bug report last year in summer (https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-58764), but it has been ignored.

Thanks for your feedback. Any further hint it very appreciated!

Best Regards,
 Jürgen