Multibranch Pipeline job creating multiple Checkout Directories in Workspace

Ven H

Aug 19, 2020, 1:28:23 PM8/19/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a Multibranch Pipeline job setup for SVN. In Trunk, I have a directory called Platform which has a Jenkins file. The workspace structure is something like Drive\Workspace_Dir\trunk%2FPlatform.

After a few builds, I can see some strange things happening with this.
The Workspace_Dir has these many directories now.

trunk%2FPlatform
trunk%2FPlatform@tmp
trunk%2FPlatform@2
trunk%2FPlatform@2@tmp
trunk%2FPlatform@3
trunk%2FPlatform@3@tmp
trunk%2FPlatform@4
trunk%2FPlatform@4@tmp
and so on...

Although, this doesn't always happen, it happens every now and then. I am not sure of the reason and would like to fix this. Can anyone please help me with this? Because of this, the drive itself runs out of space sometimes, since the code base is very large.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Björn Pedersen

Aug 20, 2020, 6:04:04 AM8/20/20
to Jenkins Users
This standard behaviour if jobs run in parallel. The first run uses:
trunk%2FPlatform => the workdir for the job
trunk%2FPlatform@tmp => the checkout for the Jenkinsfile to set up the job.

the @n dirs are created for further parallel runs.

Björn

Ven H

Aug 20, 2020, 6:21:44 AM8/20/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot. Can you please advise on how to stop / control this behavior?

Regards,
Venkatesh

Anton Shepelev

Aug 20, 2020, 9:26:09 AM8/20/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Bjorn Pedersen to Ven H:

> > I have a Multibranch Pipeline job setup for SVN. In
> > Trunk, I have a directory called Platform which has a
> > Jenkins file. The workspace structure is something like
> > Drive\Workspace_Dir\trunk%2FPlatform.
> >
> > After a few builds, I can see some strange things
> > happening with this. The Workspace_Dir has these many
> > directories now.
> >
> > trunk%2FPlatform
> > trunk%2FPlatform@tmp
> > trunk%2FPlatform@2
> > trunk%2FPlatform@2@tmp
> > trunk%2FPlatform@3
> > trunk%2FPlatform@3@tmp
> > trunk%2FPlatform@4
> > trunk%2FPlatform@4@tmp
> > and so on...
>
> This standard behaviour if jobs run in parallel.

Does the official documentation tell about it, or is it
considred an internal part of the implementation?

Ven H:

> Can you please advise on how to stop / control this
> behavior?

Try limiting the number of executors to unity.