Manual downstream triggers after business approval

joseph pasque

Sep 26, 2019, 4:05:59 PM9/26/19
to Jenkins Users
I have a particular use case and am wondering if there is a plugin out there that I am missing. We have multiple pipeline jobs, one for deploying to our testing environment, and one for deploying to our production environment. I want to allow the production deploy to occur if and only if a) a test deploy has occurred for the same parameters (aka never built directly, only triggered after test), and b) after business approval has happened on the test deployment. I am unable to find anything that accomplishes this for a declarative pipeline. If we were using Jenkins 1.x jobs I would use the Promotions Build Plugin, or the Build Pipeline View Plugin, but neither of these work with pipeline jobs as far as I know. Any help is appreciated!

Jason Pyeron

Sep 26, 2019, 4:25:38 PM9/26/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

It’s a hack.

Test on success kicks off approval

Approval starts, waits for approval

On time out (days) fail

On approval pass

On disapproval fail

Then on success, kick off production

joseph pasque

Sep 26, 2019, 5:40:44 PM9/26/19
to Jenkins Users
Thanks for the reply! Yea that's along the lines of what I was thinking, I'm just definitely worried about the job idling for more than a day or so. Have you had memory/other issues with doing that?

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 3:25:38 PM UTC-5, Jason Pyeron wrote:

[...]

Jason Pyeron

Sep 27, 2019, 7:51:49 AM9/27/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Honestly, the people notified think it is a game of whackamole, responding almost instantly.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/6264f7c5-4504-4c39-adc2-3fa43b70a450%40googlegroups.com.