Running three jobs at the same time

sravan

Aug 14, 2020, 4:11:14 PM8/14/20
to Jenkins Users
Hi All,
I know jenkins allow to run two jobs/ threads at the same time. Is there  way I can increase it to run three jobs at the same time?

I am trying to investigate this and could not find any solution on this. Any help is appreciated .

Thanks,
Sravan

Jan Monterrubio

Aug 14, 2020, 4:16:42 PM8/14/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
How are you running two jobs? is that 2 executors on the same machine?

sravan

Aug 14, 2020, 5:53:52 PM8/14/20
to Jenkins Users

yes as two executors on the same machine

Jan Monterrubio

Aug 14, 2020, 6:54:20 PM8/14/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Would increase the executors to 3 not do the trick? I might be misunderstanding the problem.

sravan

Aug 14, 2020, 8:27:55 PM8/14/20
to Jenkins Users
My problem is I want to run 3 jobs at the same time. currently jenkins allow you to run 2 only

Jan Monterrubio

Aug 14, 2020, 9:05:50 PM8/14/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
That sounds like a configuration problem to me, as have some agents that have 6cpus and 6 executors and some that have 3 executors. I think we can run about 40 jobs in parallel with our setup.

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 15, 2020, 2:51:54 AM8/15/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
However tempting, I would recommend not using ever more than 1-executor agents.
Especially for heavy tasks related to development.

In $previousJob we've burned hours of engineering time to understand what was causing random failures when the wrong jobs would run together at the wrong time.

TL;DR it's mostly a matter of machine load, and it's exponentially easier to have more agents, isolated with a resource limitation layer like docker if you run them on the same host.
And if you're using the cloud, just set up two smaller VMs or so instead of a single big one.

Cheers