Error following installation steps for Jenkins

Glenn Caccia

Jul 29, 2016, 1:01:54 PM7/29/16
to Jenkins Users
I'm trying to install 2.7.1 LTS on a CentOS 5.6 box.  I'm following the instructions for "Installing Jenkins on Red Hat distributions", which states the following...

sudo wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/jenkins.repo http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/redhat-stable/jenkins.repo

The first command works fine, but the second command to import fails...

error: https://jenkins-ci.org/redhat/jenkins-ci.org.key: import read failed(-1).

Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix this?

Glenn Caccia

Jul 29, 2016, 1:39:19 PM7/29/16
to Jenkins Users
Actually resolved the issue.  I used wget to download the key locally and then was able to import.  When using wget, had to use the flag to not check certificate...

ERROR: cannot verify jenkins-ci.org's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3':
  Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.
ERROR: certificate common name `accounts.jenkins.io' doesn't match requested host name `jenkins-ci.org'.
To connect to jenkins-ci.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

Baptiste Mathus

Jul 30, 2016, 1:55:57 AM7/30/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

I guess this is because centos 5 is pretty old and probably does not have let's encrypt root certificates installed.
Even surprised you were able to find a JDK 7 (or 8, better BTW) on this.

BTW for a master you probably want to use a more recent platform, and use an agent if you need to build on older flavours.

Cheers