Create new item - Item name error 'Only alphanumerical characters allowed'

Laura López Senderos

Jul 26, 2019, 7:55:13 AM7/26/19
to Jenkins Users
Hi everyone,

Since the lastest releases of Jenkins we're having a problem when creating new items. We always get the 'Only alphanumerical characters allowed' error when trying to create a new item.

We've tried from multiple browsers, changing our system language and the error persists. We don't know why this is happening suddenly and we can't find out a solutions :(

We've 14 projects created without problems, but for a month or so we're unable to create new ones.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Waite

Jul 26, 2019, 8:43:42 AM7/26/19
to Jenkins Users
Possibly the folder where you're creating those items has a character in its name that is outside the allowed set of characters?

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Laura López Senderos

Jul 26, 2019, 9:04:58 AM7/26/19
to Jenkins Users
Hi Mark,

The folder where every jobs are created is '/var/lib/jenkins/jobs'. This is the default folder and we've been able to create items on it since now.

Maybe some plugin update, or the jenkins instance update has broken something... We can't rename the jobs neither :/ It's like the regex that checks the name of the job is not working well.

Is there anyone having the same issue?

Thanks.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 5:55 AM Laura López Senderos <laurap...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

Since the lastest releases of Jenkins we're having a problem when creating new items. We always get the 'Only alphanumerical characters allowed' error when trying to create a new item.

We've tried from multiple browsers, changing our system language and the error persists. We don't know why this is happening suddenly and we can't find out a solutions :(

We've 14 projects created without problems, but for a month or so we're unable to create new ones.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Mark Waite

Jul 26, 2019, 11:01:05 AM7/26/19
to Jenkins Users
I've not seen any report of that issue from anyone other than you.

When I asked if a folder containing the job included an unexpected character, I was thinking of a Jenkins folder more than a directory on the file system.  The directory on the file system which represents that Jenkins folder would be inside a subdirectory or series of subdirectories of /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/.

If you don't use Jenkins folders to organize your jobs, then that is not the issue.

What version of Jenkins are you running that is broken?  What version of Jenkins were you running when it was working?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/4649dca6-d02d-495c-bf96-45a0120bdaf0%40googlegroups.com.

--
Thanks!
Mark Waite

Laura López Senderos

Jul 29, 2019, 8:58:30 AM7/29/19
to Jenkins Users
Our current Jenkins version is 2.176.2. We're not sure when it has started happening, because we've made some updates on plugins and Jenkins instance since the last job creation.

It's really strange because we've been able to create jobs with spaces, hyphens, underscores, lowercase, uppercase.... and without problems.

But now, we only type a letter, any letter, and the error message is shown. We've tried to follow the javascript code in browser developer console when typping a letter, but finally there's an ajax request and we can't see anything more.

I'm thinking on installing Jenkins CLI to try creating a Job from commands and if the error persists. This isn't the solution I would like to use but if it works we'll have to use it meanwhile.

Thanks.

--
Thanks!
Mark Waite

Slide

Jul 29, 2019, 9:08:58 AM7/29/19
to Jenkins User Mailing List
Can you give a list of plugins and their versions that you have installed? Did you restart Jenkins after the upgrade of plugins?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/47d910c8-ed0d-483d-aae3-90d344eab4f6%40googlegroups.com.

Laura López Senderos

Jul 30, 2019, 5:04:40 AM7/30/19
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

Here i post our list of plugins with their versions:

Active Directory Plugin - 2.16
Android Emulator Plugin - 3.0
Ant Plugin - 1.9
Apache HttpComponents Client 4.x API Plugin - 4.5.5-3.0
Authentication Tokens API Plugin - 1.3
Authorize Project - 1.3.0
bouncycastle API Plugin - 2.17
Branch API - 2.5.3
Build Timeout - 1.19
CocoaPods Jenkins Integration - 0.2.0
Command Agent Launcher Plugin - 1.3
Credentials Binding Plugin - 1.19
Credentials Plugin - 2.2.0
Display URL API - 2.3.1
Docker Commons Plugin - 1.15
Docker Pipeline - 1.18
Durable Task Plugin - 1.30
Email Extension Plugin - 2.66
External Monitor Job Type Plugin - 1.7
Folders Plugin - 6.9
Git - 3.10.1
Git client plugin - 2.8.0
GIT server Plugin - 1.7
GitHub API Plugin - 1.95
GitHub Branch Source - 2.5.4
GitHub plugin - 1.29.4
GitLab Plugin - 1.5.12
Google Metadata plugin - 0.2
Google OAuth Credentials plugin - 0.8
Gradle Plugin - 1.33
Jackson 2 API Plugin - 2.9.9.1
Javadoc Plugin - 1.5
JavaScript GUI Lib: ACE Editor bundle plugin - 1.1
JavaScript GUI Lib: Handlebars bundle plugin - 1.1.1
JavaScript GUI Lib: jQuery bundles (jQuery and jQuery UI) plugin - 1.2.1
JavaScript GUI Lib: Moment.js bundle plugin - 1.1.1
jQuery plugin - 1.12.4-0
jQuery UI plugin - 1.0.2
JSch dependency - 0.1.55
JUnit Plugin - 1.28
LDAP Plugin - 1.20
Lockable Resources plugin - 2.5
Mailer - 1.23
MapDB API Plugin - 1.0.9.0
Matrix Authorization Strategy Plugin - 2.4.2
Matrix Project Plugin - 1.14
OAuth Credentials plugin - 0.3
Oracle Java SE Development Kit Installer Plugin - 1.3
OWASP Markup Formatter Plugin - 1.5
PAM Authentication plugin - 1.5.1
Pipeline - 2.6
Pipeline Graph Analysis Plugin - 1.10
Pipeline: API - 2.35
Pipeline: Basic Steps - 2.18
Pipeline: Build Step - 2.9
Pipeline: Declarative - 1.3.9
Pipeline: Declarative Agent API - 1.1.1
Pipeline: Declarative Extension Points API - 1.3.9
Pipeline: GitHub Groovy Libraries - 1.0
Pipeline: Groovy - 2.72
Pipeline: Input Step - 2.10
Pipeline: Job  - 2.33
Pipeline: Milestone Step - 1.3.1
Pipeline: Model API - 1.3.9
Pipeline: Multibranch - 2.21
Pipeline: Nodes and Processes - 2.32
Pipeline: REST API Plugin - 2.11
Pipeline: SCM Step - 2.9
Pipeline: Shared Groovy Libraries - 2.14
Pipeline: Stage Step - 2.3
Pipeline: Stage Tags Metadata - 1.3.9
Pipeline: Stage View Plugin - 2.11
Pipeline: Step API - 2.20
Pipeline: Supporting APIs - 3.3
Plain Credentials Plugin - 1.5
Port Allocator Plug-in - 1.8
Resource Disposer Plugin - 0.13
Role-based Authorization Strategy - 2.13
SCM API Plugin - 2.6.3
Script Security Plugin - 1.61
SonarQube Scanner for Jenkins - 2.9
SSH Credentials Plugin - 1.17.1
SSH Slaves - 1.29.4
Structs - 1.19
Subversion Plug-in - 2.12.2
Timestamper - 1.10
Token Macro Plugin - 2.8
Trilead API Plugin - 1.0.3
WMI Windows Agents Plugin - 1.4
Workspace Cleanup Plugin - 0.37
Xcode integration - 2.0.12
Xvfb plugin - 1.1.3

We've restarted jenkins instance and the whole machine 3-4 times, but nothing changes, the error persists....

Thank you!
Laura

Shaun McArthur

Jul 30, 2019, 6:24:50 AM7/30/19
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
There is an option to restrict job naming…do you have it checked on?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/e895d367-9071-4c3f-9a4d-4b8d849b793f%40googlegroups.com.

Laura López Senderos

Jul 30, 2019, 9:01:36 AM7/30/19
to Jenkins Users
Thank you very much Shaun, you've hit right!

There's an option in Jenkins management to restrict the job names: manage jenkins -> configure system -> restrict project naming.

We've a pattern to allow only alphanumerical characters, but with some jenkins or plugin upgrade this pattern has been ignored and we had jobs with spaces on its names. After others upgrades the pattern has worked again, and the error in job name has appeared because of the existing jobs with spaces.

So the solution is:
- disable the restriction in job names
- change the jobs' names with spaces to remove the spaces
- enable again the restriction in job names

Thanks to all people who has answered our post and try to help us!