Quess I am confused about “node” in pipeline

itchymuzzle

Nov 6, 2017, 10:41:41 AM11/6/17
to Jenkins Users

I thought “node” was a scripted pipeline thing, but item #4 in this:  [https://www.cloudbees.com/blog/top-10-best-practices-jenkins-pipeline-plugin] seems to disagree with that.

So I am suppose to use “node” to ensure the Jenkins master doesn’t do any work?  Doesn’t setting executors to zero also ensure that?

Thanks

itchymuzzle

Nov 6, 2017, 10:50:00 AM11/6/17
to Jenkins Users
I am using "label" to define what gets run where.

Robert Hales

Nov 6, 2017, 11:00:00 AM11/6/17
to Jenkins Users
Node is a build step. Any build steps can be run in a declarative pipeline, but you can also specify which node to use with 'agent' on a declarative pipeline. Everything runs initially on a flyweight executor on the master. Then it farms out the heavy lifting to the appropriate nodes you specify. If you don't specify a node or agent properly, you end up running everything on the flyweight executor. Setting executors to 0 on the master doesn't change that. It just prevents you from using 'agent' or 'node' to put the heavy lifting on the master.