Trouble running JNLP slave as a service in Windows 10

David Aldrich

Oct 4, 2017, 6:42:40 AM10/4/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi

I want to install a JNLP slave as a service in Windows 10.

If I use the ‘easy’ method of going to the node page, from the slave machine, and clicking on the Launch button, the slave launches. But if I select ‘File > Install as a service’ I get an exception:

I wonder if this is because I haven’t done it properly in administrator mode. But I did open an admin command prompt and ran my browser (Edge) from there.

Alternatively, I can start the slave from a command line using:

java -jar slave.jar -jnlpUrl http://<my-server>/computer/<my-node>/slave-agent.jnlp -secret <my-secret> described at computer/<my-node>/

but that doesn’t allow me to run the agent as a service.

Please can anyone help me with this?

Best regards

David

Khomyuk Viktor

Oct 4, 2017, 8:02:58 AM10/4/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi. Install slave as service is not easy :)

Look at the https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Windows+slaves+fail+to+start+via+DCOM

Start with "Enable Remote Registry Access".

One error will be replaced by another, but after some time you will achieve your goal.

Oct 4, 2017, 9:11:57 AM10/4/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
That page is for DCOM agents, not JNLP agents.

The easiest method to do this is to open an administrator console and then run the command you specified in your original email:

java -jar slave.jar -jnlpUrl http://<my-server>/computer/<my-node>/slave-agent.jnlp -secret <my-secret>

Does that not show the "Install as a Service" menu item?

David Aldrich

Oct 4, 2017, 9:36:28 AM10/4/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> Does that not show the "Install as a Service" menu item?

No. The command windows shows the agent is connected but there is no pop-up with an "Install as a Service" menu item.

BR

David