Jenkins issue on installing Email-ext plugin[--Urgent--]

iqbal md

Feb 20, 2018, 11:28:11 PM2/20/18
to Jenkins Users
I have been setting up pipeline job in Jenkins which is basically aimed at checking out code from Subversion, build and deploy it into Weblogic, run Cucumber test and then send out an email notification.

PFB my environment related information:
Java 1.8
Weblogic 12c
SMTP server(For mailing)

My pipeline is running fine until executing Cucumber test but the job meant for sending email is not working for me. I have tried sending email as individual job also but no luck.

I installed the email-ext template plugin thinking it will resolve my issue around triggering emails. However this plugin mandates the email-ext plugin to upgrade to 1.0 along with which workflow related plugins(workflow-job and workflow-support) get installed as dependencies. And then when I trigger any job I keep getting this error:

FATAL: jenkins/scm/RunWithSCM
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jenkins/scm/RunWithSCM
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.defineClassFromData(AntClassLoader.java:1139)
at hudson.ClassicPluginStrategy$AntClassLoader2.defineClassFromData(ClassicPluginStrategy.java:878)
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.getClassFromStream(AntClassLoader.java:1310)
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.findClassInComponents(AntClassLoader.java:1366)
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.findClass(AntClassLoader.java:1326)
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.loadClass(AntClassLoader.java:1079)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.job.WorkflowJob$SCMListenerImpl.onCheckout(WorkflowJob.java:651)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:609)
at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:86)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:529)
at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1741)
at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:98)
at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:410)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: jenkins.scm.RunWithSCM
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.findClassInComponents(AntClassLoader.java:1376)
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.findClass(AntClassLoader.java:1326)
at jenkins.util.AntClassLoader.loadClass(AntClassLoader.java:1079)
... 17 more
Email was triggered for: Always
Sending email for trigger: Always
Sending email to: iqbal.m...@xx.com(sample, while actually I have configured valid email id)
Finished: FAILURE

And for next consecutive run on the same job I get this error:

Building in workspace /opt/software/ngae_jenkins/workspace/SendMail

FATAL: org/jenkinsci/plugins/workflow/job/WorkflowRun

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jenkinsci/plugins/workflow/job/WorkflowRun

at org.jenkinsci.plugins.workflow.job.WorkflowJob$SCMListenerImpl.onCheckout(WorkflowJob.java:651)

at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:609)

at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:86)

at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:529)

at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1741)

at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)

at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:98)

at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:410)

Email was triggered for: Always

Sending email for trigger: Always

Sending email to: iqbal.m...@xx.com

Finished: FAILURE

I have checked on all available forums over internet but couldn't find anything helpful. I have bee trying multiple things but all in vain. Can you please suggest any way forward here.

Mark Waite

Feb 20, 2018, 11:46:34 PM2/20/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
The RunWithSCM class is part of Jenkins core.  The report of class not found for a class in Jenkins core is quite surprising.  You say that you're running "Java 1.8".  Are you running Oracle Java 1.8, OpenJDK 1.8, or IBM Java 1.8?  If you're using IBM Java 1.8, then there are known problems running Jenkins over the IBM Java Runtime Environment.  Switch to OpenJDK or Oracle JDK.

The missing class message for the mail related class seems to indicate that one or more required plugins might be missing from your installation.

Have you checked the "Manage Plugins" page to see if it highlights any dependencies which are not satisfied?  Have you restarted the Jenkins server recently and reviewed the Plugin Manager page to confirm that required dependencies are satisfied?

Did you install all the plugins using the plugin manager, or did you install some of them using the "Advanced" option to upload a specific plugin (instead of using the plugin manager)?  If you use the Advanced option, then you are responsible to upload all the required dependencies.

Mark Waite

iqbal md

Feb 21, 2018, 9:28:51 PM2/21/18
to Jenkins Users
Hi Mark,

Thanks for replying.

I am using Oracle Java 1.8.

I have tried installing the email-extension template from the "Manage Plugins" section as well as installed the .hpi file. In both the cases it installed the necessary dependencies, meaning I didn't observed any difference there with respect to dependencies atleast.

Yes, I keep restarting the Jenkins after each installation to make the changes effective.

Can you please brief me over the Plugin Manager page here which you are asking for verifying upon the satisfaction of dependencies. Is it the "Updates" section available in the "Manage Plugins" section or is the Jenkins Plugin link which mentions the Required/Optional dependencies.

The moment I get plugins(workflow-job and workflow-support) installed as part of the dependencies I start hitting this issue, otherwise until then the pipeline runs absolutely fine just that the email feature is not able to relay mails.

With Regards
Iqbal

Mark Waite

Feb 22, 2018, 1:02:32 AM2/22/18
to Jenkins Users
I continue to suspect that the problem is due to manually uploading plugins without satisfying all the dependencies.

You might try installing the support-core plugin.  Use it to generate a support bundle so that it can be compared with a working system.

As an experiment, I installed the email-ext plugin in my Jenkins and it did not include any additional dependencies beyond the plugins I already have installed.  The plugins I have installed are listed in my docker image, in case you want to compare my plugin list and yours. I did not attempt to send mail with the email-ext plugin, I only tested installing it to see if it would require additional dependencies that I do not already have.

Mark Waite

iqbal md

Feb 23, 2018, 11:15:59 PM2/23/18
to Jenkins Users
 Thanks Mark.

I am bit curious to understand how did you manage to avoid installing additional dependencies beyond the ones which you have already installed in your image. As far as am aware once you install any plugin via Plugin Manager or directly uploading a hpi file in the Advanced section it pulls all the dependencies automatically.

I have gone through you list of your plugins shared as part of docker image but couldn't find the email-ext/email-ext-template plugins there.

And moreover I can find the version of workflow-job as 2.9 as part of maven dependency in email-ext-template(V1.0)->email-ext-template(V2.43) while in your repository it is workflow-job(V2.17).

As advised by you, will install the support-core plugin and will try generating the bundle for comparison sake.

With Regards
Iqbal

Mark Waite

Feb 23, 2018, 11:26:27 PM2/23/18
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 9:16 PM iqbal md <iqbal...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Thanks Mark.

I am bit curious to understand how did you manage to avoid installing additional dependencies beyond the ones which you have already installed in your image. As far as am aware once you install any plugin via Plugin Manager or directly uploading a hpi file in the Advanced section it pulls all the dependencies automatically.

Installing a plugin through the plugin manager will also install all the mandatory dependencies of that plugin.

Installing a plugin by directly uploading an hpi file will not install any additional dependencies, even if they are required.  My concern with your description of your earlier attempts was that you mentioned at least one of your techniques was to upload plugins directly.  That does not install additional dependencies.

I have gone through you list of your plugins shared as part of docker image but couldn't find the email-ext/email-ext-template plugins there.

I installed the plugin during a running session.  I did not change my Docker image definition to add email-ext, since I don't use that plugin.

I did not install the email-ext-template plugin earlier.  This is the first I've seen mention of that plugin.  I installed it interactively just now and it did not add any additional plugins to my Jenkins installation.

And moreover I can find the version of workflow-job as 2.9 as part of maven dependency in email-ext-template(V1.0)->email-ext-template(V2.43) while in your repository it is workflow-job(V2.17).

When I use a plugin, I prefer to use the most recent released versions of that plugin.  When a plugin depends on an earlier version, later plugin versions can be used to satisfy the dependency.

Mark Waite

As advised by you, will install the support-core plugin and will try generating the bundle for comparison sake.

With Regards
Iqbal

iqbal md

Feb 23, 2018, 11:51:32 PM2/23/18
to Jenkins Users
Thanks Mark.

Actually I have tried installing the plugins via Plugin Manager as well but that didn't resolve my issue.
I will try installing the latest workflow-job first followed by other plugins, will see if that addresses my issue, will keep you posted.

With Regards
Iqbal

Daniel Beck

Feb 24, 2018, 7:33:38 AM2/24/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 24. Feb 2018, at 05:26, Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Installing a plugin by directly uploading an hpi file will not install any additional dependencies, even if they are required.

This was fixed (for uploads through the UI) in Jenkins 2.1.

iqbal md

Feb 26, 2018, 4:37:13 AM2/26/18
to Jenkins Users
Hi Mark,
I am using Jenkins 2.7.2.
I tried installing the latest version of Pipeline:Job(workflow-job) plugins along with all the dependencies but still I am facing the same issue.
Is it some problem with the Jenkins version, do I need to install the latest Jenkins version here or is it just the issue with plugins here?

With Regards
Iqbal

Slide

Feb 26, 2018, 8:19:28 AM2/26/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Several of the pipeline plugins have dependencies on plugins that require a newer version of Jenkins, there is a warning in the plugin manager about this when you are installing things. If you upgraded the pipeline plugins, then this dependency was probably upgraded as well and requires at least 2.60.3 or something like that in order to run. You may need to upgrade to that version at minimum.

iqbal md

Mar 1, 2018, 9:59:20 PM3/1/18
to Jenkins Users
Thanks all for your support.
The issue got resolved after upgrading Jenkins to the latest version i.e. 2.89 along with latest plugins. All the plugins have been installed via Plugin Manager feature available in Jenkins.