Jenkins Multi-configuration project: Skip master checkout

Dan

Mar 6, 2018, 12:38:12 PM3/6/18
to Jenkins Users

We use Jenkins multi-configuration projects exclusively to build on both Windows and Linux on a variety of compilers.  The builds are executed on several Virtual Machines.  However, Jenkins always performs a checkout on the master node before doing an SCM checkout for each matrix job.

Why is this extra checkout necessary? Can it be turned off to save time/disk?

Mark Waite

Mar 6, 2018, 12:45:49 PM3/6/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
No, it can't be turned off.

If your repositories are large or bandwidth to the git server is low, you might consider the hints from "Git in the Large".  Those are the slides I presented at the Jenkins World 2017 community booth.  A Jenkins Online Meetup is available if you prefer to hear me talking through the slides.

Mark Waite

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 10:38 AM Dan <daniel....@remcom.com> wrote:

We use Jenkins multi-configuration projects exclusively to build on both Windows and Linux on a variety of compilers.  The builds are executed on several Virtual Machines.  However, Jenkins always performs a checkout on the master node before doing an SCM checkout for each matrix job.

Why is this extra checkout necessary? Can it be turned off to save time/disk?

Dan

Mar 6, 2018, 1:26:59 PM3/6/18
to Jenkins Users
What technical requirement does the master checkout satisfy?
Listing the SCM Changes doesn't require a full checkout.
And the Workspace can be viewed for the nodes as well as the master.

Mark Waite

Mar 6, 2018, 1:50:35 PM3/6/18
to Jenkins Users
I don't know.  I didn't do the research to understand precisely why it behaves that way.

Mark Waite