How to update permissions using Jenkins Folder-based Authorization plugin

Al Silver

Jun 27, 2020, 11:08:34 AM6/27/20
to Jenkins Users

I’m currently using the Jenkins Folder-based Authorization plugin. It seems to work pretty well so far but one thing I can’t figure out is how to modify the permissions of a global role or folder role after it has been created. You can click on “View Permissions” and see the permissions that were set up initially, but how do you update/modify them if you want to make changes?? I have about 20 users assigned to a role and I need to update the permissions… I don’t want to have to delete the role and then recreate it with the updated permissions and then re-add all 20 users. There must be a way but I’m just missing it??

Below shows an example.. I can easily add/remove users to this "folder role" but don't see how to update the permissions???

Thx

Al Silverstein

Al Silver

Jun 29, 2020, 3:28:21 PM6/29/20
to Jenkins Users
I received a reply from the developer on Gitter.

AbhyudayaSharma

Hi. It is not currently possible to update permissions for a role from the UI. I'm working on a complete overhaul of the UI in https://github.com/jenkinsci/folder-auth-plugin/pull/58 which should be ready soon. In the meanwhile, you can use [Configuration as code plugin](https://github.com/jenkinsci/configuration-as-code-plugin). Otherwise, you can edit `$JENKINS_HOME/config.xml` and reload the configuration from the UI.