How to start Docker container dependencies in a blue ocean pipeline?

Skip to the first unread message

Robin van Sloten

2 Oct 2020, 18:58:0602/10/2020
to Jenkins Users
As I learned, Docker is all about separating services so you want a container for you app and one for your database and one for... Well I cannot even get a single dependency to work.

I want to test my app, but for that I need my database to be up for some of the tests. But from the blue ocean interface I can only select a single docker image, or build from a Dockerfile. There is no way to start a dependent container. Also starting images after each other in separate steps does not work as they seem to be terminated at the end of the step.

I know that docker-compose has the 'depends-on' property to start these dependent containers, which would be perfect, but there I could not find a way to run docker-compose from blue ocean.

This is a Docker best practice and I can't be the only on facing this. How do others do this?