Disabling Jenkins' new version message

Sébastien Hinderer

Apr 28, 2017, 8:22:34 AM4/28/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Is there a way to disable the message about newer Jenkins versions and
also the security-related warnings?

Thanks!

Sébastien.

Dmitry Lampsi

Apr 28, 2017, 2:32:25 PM4/28/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi, Sébastien.
According to this link you can pass 'hudson.model.UpdateCenter.never property' to 'true' in command line to start Jenkins. Its disabling update checking 4erer :)

Stephen Connolly

Apr 28, 2017, 6:49:49 PM4/28/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
I find upgrading and fixing the security issues disables the warning ;-)

Sent from my phone

Sébastien Hinderer

Apr 29, 2017, 6:50:29 AM4/29/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Stephen Connolly (2017/04/28 22:49 +0000):
> I find upgrading and fixing the security issues disables the warning
> ;-)

Obviously, but in our use case we can't because the research institute I
am working for has deigned a portal which integrates Jenkins with other
services. It seems the integration has been done in a way which makes it
fragile, so that an upgrade of the Jenkins server with out a
corresponding update of the portal may break the whole thing.

I find it a pity because I'd really prefer to just update, but it seems
in this situation it is simply not the best thing to do and we have to
let the service in charge of continuous integration here manage the
upgrades, hence the idea to disable the notifications, to avoid that a
future admin of our Jenkins instance, not aware of this, updates and
breaks everything.

Sébastien.

Sébastien Hinderer

Apr 29, 2017, 8:18:18 AM4/29/17
to Jenkins Users
Dear Dmitry,

Many thanks for your helpful response!

I think, given the constraints I described in a previous e-mail, what
you suggest is exactly what we need.

Having no access to the server running the Jenkins instance I can't try
it by myself but I suggested the modification to our support team.
Best wishes,

Sébastien.

Sébastien Hinderer

May 4, 2017, 4:03:01 AM5/4/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi,

Dmitry Lampsi (2017/04/28 11:32 -0700):
> Hi, Sébastien.
> I think something useful you can find here
> - https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Features+controlled+by+system+properties
> According to this link you can pass 'hudson.model.UpdateCenter.never
> property' to 'true' in command line to start Jenkins. Its disabling update
> checking 4erer :)

So after some experimenting, it seems this property is not exactly what
we need. To give an example, if an administrator of a Jenkins instance
installs a new plugin on the instance, then a connectin to the update
center will be done and the data about new updates will become available
and the message inviting to update Jenkins itself will show up again.

Given the way Jenkins is used here, what we would really need would be a
way to allow plugins to be upgraded from within the Interface butt at
the same time not permit the admins to update Jenkins' core.

Can anybody think of a way to achieve this, please?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sébastien.

Daniel Beck

May 4, 2017, 7:51:24 AM5/4/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 04.05.2017, at 10:02, Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien...@inria.fr> wrote:
>
> Can anybody think of a way to achieve this, please?

Current versions of Jenkins have options in Configure System to disable specific administrative monitors. This is one of them.

Note that removing write access to jenkins.war from the user that Jenkins is running as will disable Jenkins' ability to self-upgrade, only showing a notice and link to the website.

Sébastien Hinderer

May 4, 2017, 8:42:25 AM5/4/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Dear Daniel,

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful response.

> Current versions of Jenkins have options in Configure System to
> disable specific administrative monitors. This is one of them.

Very interesting, thanks! May I ask in which version of Jenkins this
feature has been introduced?

> Note that removing write access to jenkins.war from the user that
> Jenkins is running as will disable Jenkins' ability to self-upgrade,
> only showing a notice and link to the website.

That would indeed already be an improvement upon the current situation,
thanks for the trick!

Of course, being able to disable the notification completely would be
even better, but if this can not be achieved then your proposal seems a
really good solution!

Thanks,

Sébastien.

Daniel Beck

May 7, 2017, 6:20:14 PM5/7/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 04.05.2017, at 14:42, Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien...@inria.fr> wrote:
>
> Very interesting, thanks! May I ask in which version of Jenkins this
> feature has been introduced?

2.24.

speak2m...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 10:09:21 AM1/19/18
to Jenkins Users
Go to Manage Jenkins> Configure System> Administrative monitors configuration and uncheck Jenkins Update Notification box
and save the settings and refresh jenkins page. Now you should not see the jenkins new version update notification.