How Do You Manage Growth?

rqui

Jul 28, 2016, 12:53:35 PM7/28/16
to Jenkins Users
I am seeking some advice/tips. Our group is experiencing fast growth and changes and I am trying to architect a solution for managing it.

We currently have a single master handling various types of jobs: ci, nightlies, releases, personal dev builds, etc.

Using OSS, does anyone have experience in handling several masters for handling the different functions: CI, Releases, DEV?

Or, do you continue to use a single Jenkins master?

Any help, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Simona Avornicesei

Jul 28, 2016, 2:31:42 PM7/28/16
to Jenkins Users
We have a single Jenkins master.
Depending on the needs of each team/project, they either have one or more slaves/agents assigned exclusively for their jobs or they share the same agent with other projects (usually projects from the same client).

R. Tyler Croy

Jul 28, 2016, 3:34:02 PM7/28/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)
I will assume that you are not running jobs on the master, if you are, that's
the first step to growing is removing all workloads from the master and
delegating them to agents.

For most use-cases I have either worked with or seen, delegating work to the
agents and then putting a beefy machine in place for the master (fast disk I/O)
is sufficient to grow into the many hundreds of jobs/thousands of builds per
day.

If you're growing past that, I suggest splitting into multiple independent
masters based on the workloads associated with them. For example, I might break
out the jobs for the "mobile team" to a new master infrastructure since they
have Android/iOS build requirements and let the "server" team stick to another
master with a number of Linux agents. This has the added benefit of separating
concerns, plugins and access control based on logic separations inside your
organization.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3F51E16F
signature.asc

rqui

Jul 28, 2016, 4:02:49 PM7/28/16
to Jenkins Users
How many teams use Jenkins and how many total nodes are used?

rqui

Jul 28, 2016, 4:04:05 PM7/28/16
to Jenkins Users
Do you only have the two teams? How do you manage the multiple nodes? Also how many users do you have using Jenkins?

rqui

Jul 28, 2016, 4:04:57 PM7/28/16
to Jenkins Users
Also, how many users do you have in your Jenkins?

Baptiste Mathus

Jul 28, 2016, 4:37:29 PM7/28/16
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

The question is also: do you have agents, as hinted by Tyler, or do you build all ze things on that sole machine.

If no agent, or anyway, see also the recent thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/3a038f29-5221-4830-80ae-ca5a70c7ccc7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

In my previous company, we had a single master for ~100 users. And originally ~20 agents before going dynamic.

Pretty sure we had a wiki page for that. If not, some day we should start a section on that on the wiki or on Jenkins.io I guess. This question is more and more often asked seems like.

rqui

Jul 28, 2016, 4:47:16 PM7/28/16
to Jenkins Users, m...@batmat.net
Yes, we have 10+ nodes; nothing builds on the master.

rqui

Jul 28, 2016, 4:48:07 PM7/28/16
to Jenkins Users
That brings up another point...how does handling growth and implementing cloud (private or public) play a part as well?