step in build suddenly injecting new parameter flags, resulting in build failure

Glenn Caccia

Feb 13, 2020, 6:47:12 PM2/13/20
to Jenkins Users
I have a Jenkins project that runs a maven build.  The maven build includes a step where it uses axistools, maven goal wsdl2java, to build classes from a soap service endpoint. This has been working fine for the past few years. The last good build was from 1/31. On 2/4 I tried to build this same project and suddenly that step was failing. I noticed that the step is now including new parameters that were not present before. In the last good build, I see a step like this.. [DEBUG] argslist: [-o, /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/xxx/workspace/target/generated-sources/java, -w, -T, 1.1, file:/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/xxx/workspace/target/axistools/wsdl2java/urlDownloads/http---xxx.xxx.com-8080-xxx-wsdl.wsdl]
But now, with the builds that are failing, I see this... [DEBUG] argslist: [-o, /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/xxx/workspace/target/generated-sources/java, -w, -T, 1.1, -U, , -P, , file:/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/xxx/workspace/target/axistools/wsdl2java/urlDownloads/http---xxx.xxx.com-8080-xxx-wsdl.wsdl] So something is injecting -U, , -P, ,. I looked at what plugins had been recently updated and found the following...
config-file-provider
github-branch-source
script-security
workflow-cps
subversion
The script-security plugin seemed like a likely suspect and I downgraded it and restarted Jenkins, but still get same issue. Config-file-provider does not provide a downgrade option. Any thoughts?

Glenn Caccia

Feb 14, 2020, 11:04:22 AM2/14/20
to Jenkins Users
I also uninstalled or downgraded all the others in that list of plugins except for workflow-cps (no option to do either for that) and restarted and still no good.

James Nord

Feb 15, 2020, 5:42:07 AM2/15/20
to Jenkins Users
Could it be that you have not locked the versions of maven plugins in your maven pom.xml?

the axis-maven-plugin or whatever you are using to generate the wsdl that's failing could have been updated and you may be getting a newer version than you used to in the CO environment.
https://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-rules/requirePluginVersions.html

Glenn Caccia

Feb 15, 2020, 12:22:18 PM2/15/20
to Jenkins Users
Unfortunately, no.  The POM and project are in source control.  No changes.  The maven plugin axistools is a very old plugin that hasn't had a new version since 10 years ago.  Plus, if I build the project directly through maven locally, it builds fine without the additional parameters that I see when running it through Jenkins.