manually created config.xml and plugin version numbers

Adam Levine

Mar 20, 2017, 3:45:32 PM3/20/17
to Jenkins Users
I've templated out some jobs, using gradle file copy/token replacement and the cli create-job with my config.xml, and all is working fine.   My question is on pieces that are plugins.

ie
    <hudson.plugins.heavy__job.HeavyJobProperty plugin="heavy-job@XXXX">
      <weight>1</weight>
    </hudson.plugins.heavy__job.HeavyJobProperty>

I already have a process in place to extract all the current plugins and versions and supply them, ie plugin="heavy-job@${heavy_job_plugin_version}"

When I'm creating the config.xml to pass to the CLI create-job, does it matter if I include the plugin version or not?  I saw on a prior thread that the version number is merely a reference to the plugin version present when the job was created.   I can't see that it's breaking anything if I don't include the version, but I want to make sure I'm not going to shoot myself in the foot.

Any insight is welcome.

Thank you !

Artur Szostak

Mar 22, 2017, 7:33:43 AM3/22/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you implementing something similar to Jenkins Job Builder (https://docs.openstack.org/infra/jenkins-job-builder/).
That tool does not add plugin version numbers to the XML and it works. Presumably as long as there is nothing particularly strange going on between plugin upgrades.

Mar 23, 2017, 1:34:02 PM3/23/17
to Jenkins Users, aszo...@partner.eso.org
Artur:

   Thank you for your response.   Knowing that another project (thanks for the heads up on that one, too!) is working fine in the same manner gives me great comfort I won't be introducing any systemic problems.

  Thank you again!