Trend Graph

Dan

Mar 29, 2018, 2:26:01 PM3/29/18
to Jenkins Users
Jenkins uses a trend graph to display things like failed unit tests or compilation warnings as a function of build number. Is there a way to suppress only the first build OR to limit the height of the y-axis?

My company's workflow
- create a copy of a Jenkins job for your particular branch
- Build the branch without changes. This gives a baseline for the # of warnings in the code (it has very old code, so there are a LOT)
- The branch then automatically builds daily. New warnings introduced by the developer show up in the Trend Graph.

The Trend Graph is configured to show only new or fixed warnings.
The problem is that the 1st build introduces a ton of "new" warnings. This pushes the +Y-axis max value to >1000. Any warnings fixed/introduced after that are not visible.

Solution
If we could somehow suppress showing just that first build, while still showing all subsequent builds, this would be fixed. Or, if the +Y-axis could be limited to show numbers from 0-100, this would be fixed.

Is this possible?

Mark Waite

Mar 29, 2018, 3:43:20 PM3/29/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
What if the first build on a branch were run without calculating warnings (since you intend to ignore warnings from the first build, you could choose not to compute those warnings and not to report them.

After first build is complete, reconfigure the job (Jenkins UI or in the Jenkinsfile if Pipeline) to report warnings.

Mark Waite

Ullrich Hafner

Mar 29, 2018, 7:43:19 PM3/29/18
to Jenkins Users
I think this will not work. If no previous result is found, then an empty set of warnings is used as baseline, so we still get a large number of new warnings. I wonder if it would make sense to change the current behavior of my plugin. I must admit that marking all warnings of the first build as new is not a conscious decision. Maybe I should change that so that the first build always has no new warnings. What do you think? I’m not sure if I break something from other peoples’ jobs if I change that…

The other suggestions about changing the graphs: this is currently not supported will will never be supported with the current chart implementation. In the future (*), I would like to replace the png server side rendered charts with client side rendered JS charts. Then it should be easy to configure these graphs on the client side.

(*) Currently this is blocked by an integration of an old Prototype.JS library in Jenkins core, see https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-49319 for details

signature.asc
Message has been deleted

Artur Szostak

Apr 5, 2018, 7:13:17 AM4/5/18
to Jenkins Users
Unless you want to make a lot of people angry, or unless there is a fundamentally good reason, always make the existing behaviour the default. New behaviour should be explicitly selected. If there is a good reason to make new behaviour the default, there should at the very least be a transition period over several plugin versions, and clear deprecation warnings / mechanisms to allow for a sensible update / transition strategy.

Cheers

Artur
Apr 5, 2018, 11:24:03 AM4/5/18
to Jenkins Users
I this a general advice or are you using the warnings plugin in a different way that requires that the old behavior should be retained?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/7320e864f9a741f1a75d609ec366730c%40partner.eso.org.
signature.asc

Artur Szostak

Apr 6, 2018, 4:34:05 AM4/6/18
to Jenkins Users
Yes, my developers have built their workflows and Jenkins jobs around the current behaviour. But I also encourage my comments as general advise.