Slow loading of job configuration page after Jenkins upgrade

t3knoid

Nov 3, 2017, 2:42:01 PM11/3/17
to Jenkins Users
I've recently upgraded Jenkins and plug-ins. After doing so, now every job configuration page loads very slow. Some at least 7-8 minutes. I've read that I need to profile the running java process with something like jstack to see which thread is taking a long time to complete. I tried that and I am at a lost as how to interpret the stack. This happened after updating to v2.87 and some of the plugins. I know this info is not much help, but I'd appreciate how can I go about getting more info on how to troubleshoot this.

t3knoid

Nov 3, 2017, 3:39:11 PM11/3/17
to Jenkins Users
BTW, the slow load also happens when creating a new free style project or a maven project. However, the slowness does not appear creating a pipeline project.

Robert Hales

Nov 3, 2017, 10:03:52 PM11/3/17
to Jenkins Users
I would look into your gc, first. Does jenkins write a garbage collection log? I don't remember. You may need to just give it more memory.

t3knoid

Nov 7, 2017, 1:11:40 PM11/7/17
to Jenkins Users
Not sure about the gc log. I thought it was a memory issue first. So I increased memory but that did not make a difference. I see the issue on other installations as well. This must be something to do with a plug-in. I am going to roll back and see if the behavior goes back to normal.

Daniel Beck

Nov 7, 2017, 3:14:49 PM11/7/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

> On 3. Nov 2017, at 19:42, t3knoid <t3k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I tried that and I am at a lost as how to interpret the stack. This happened after updating to v2.87 and some of the plugins. I know this info is not much help, but I'd appreciate how can I go about getting more info on how to troubleshoot this.

Go to the /threadDump URL in Jenkins while the config page is loading in another tab, and post its output to gist or similar.

t3knoid

Nov 9, 2017, 4:19:31 PM11/9/17
to Jenkins Users

t3knoid

Jan 24, 2018, 10:08:39 AM1/24/18
to Jenkins Users
Just in case anyone runs into the same issue. I figured out that it was one of my Chrome extensions that was causing the slow load. Sorry, I didn't narrow it down to which one. I came about this by opening Jenkins in incognito mode. Opening the configure screen for a job was quick in this mode. I then simply started cleaning up extensions that I did not need. Loading of the configure screens now comes up quick in non-incognito.