Java heap space

Consult Hyperion *

Feb 8, 2018, 12:01:53 PM2/8/18
to Jenkins Users
I keep getting this on a job - the worker is fine with other jobs:

[WARNINGS] Parsing warnings in console log with parser MSBuild
Skipping warnings blame since Git is the only supported SCM up to now.%n
FATAL: Java heap space
at java.util.HashMap.resize(Unknown Source)
at java.util.HashMap.putVal(Unknown Source)
at java.util.HashMap.put(Unknown Source)
at java.util.HashSet.add(Unknown Source)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.addCategory(AnnotationContainer.java:285)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.updateMappings(AnnotationContainer.java:250)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.addAnnotation(AnnotationContainer.java:366)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.addAuthorName(AnnotationContainer.java:393)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.updateMappings(AnnotationContainer.java:267)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.addAnnotation(AnnotationContainer.java:366)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.addModule(AnnotationContainer.java:319)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.updateMappings(AnnotationContainer.java:256)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.addAnnotation(AnnotationContainer.java:366)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.util.model.AnnotationContainer.addAnnotations(AnnotationContainer.java:376)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.core.BuildResult.initialize(BuildResult.java:307)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.core.BuildResult.<init>(BuildResult.java:222)
at hudson.plugins.warnings.WarningsResult.<init>(WarningsResult.java:52)
at hudson.plugins.warnings.WarningsResult.<init>(WarningsResult.java:46)
at hudson.plugins.warnings.WarningsPublisher.annotate(WarningsPublisher.java:434)
at hudson.plugins.warnings.WarningsPublisher.parseConsoleLog(WarningsPublisher.java:378)
at hudson.plugins.warnings.WarningsPublisher.perform(WarningsPublisher.java:312)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.core.HealthAwarePublisher.perform(HealthAwarePublisher.java:69)
at hudson.plugins.analysis.core.HealthAwareRecorder.perform(HealthAwareRecorder.java:298)
at hudson.tasks.BuildStepCompatibilityLayer.perform(BuildStepCompatibilityLayer.java:81)
at hudson.tasks.BuildStepMonitor$1.perform(BuildStepMonitor.java:20)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.perform(AbstractBuild.java:744)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.performAllBuildSteps(AbstractBuild.java:690)
at hudson.model.Build$BuildExecution.post2(Build.java:186)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.post(AbstractBuild.java:635)
at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1749)
at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:97)

I've tried increasing the heap space (I think) with -Xmx2048M on the worker but it's not helping.  I'm wondering if the problem might be on the server instead?  It seems to start parsing warnings, get some of the way through then fall over.  Any useful suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.

Ullrich Hafner

Feb 8, 2018, 12:16:52 PM2/8/18
to Jenkins Users
How many warnings do you have?

signature.asc

Consult Hyperion *

Feb 9, 2018, 6:39:49 AM2/9/18
to Jenkins Users
At the last count:

42938 Warning(s)

I did wonder if that was just too many and it was overloading something.  Is that the problem?

Ullrich Hafner

Feb 10, 2018, 11:43:57 AM2/10/18
to Jenkins Users
These are too many warnings for the current architecture of the plug-in, see https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-1960.

Once the refactoring to the new analysis-model is finished, I think it would be possible to add an option to just count the number of warnings rather then creating and persisting them.

BTW: what is the reason that you are interested in tracking so many warnings?

signature.asc

Consult Hyperion *

Feb 12, 2018, 3:58:09 AM2/12/18
to Jenkins Users
I just look after the server.  The programmer has changed the parameters for which warnings they get and the build is working now.  They put a note in which said they are now only tracking "Microsoft recommended" warnings instead of all warnings.  That seems to have made quite a difference to the number of warnings.  'll let them know why it was failing.  I'd be inclined to fix the warnings myself but it's not my code...  :)

Thanks for your help.