How to get command versions supported by Pipeline

Ven H

Oct 13, 2020, 9:34:18 AM10/13/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
In my Jenkinsfile, I am using the following command

bat "dotnet restore"

I have .NET Core SDK installed in the Jenkins Slave, but still the job throws an error saying "'dotnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

So, how to know which version of .NET Core SDK or for that matter any command (say MSBuild) is supported by the "bat" step of Jenkinsfile.

Please help.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Eric Pyle

Oct 13, 2020, 9:44:24 AM10/13/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
This message is telling you that your "bat" step does not know where to find the "dotnet" command. If you give the full path it should succeed.

Ven H

Oct 13, 2020, 10:10:09 AM10/13/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for your response. However, I have another slave where it works just fine without path. So, I am trying to understand which version it supports. Also, I don't want to hardcode the path in the Jenkinsfile. Please help.

Regards,
Venkatesh

Slide

Oct 13, 2020, 10:18:59 AM10/13/20
to Jenkins User Mailing List
There is no direct support in Jenkins for the dotnet command, if you are using the bat step, then it should function just like if you ran the command in cmd.exe as the user that your Jenkins agent is running as.

Ven H

Oct 13, 2020, 10:49:25 AM10/13/20
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the response. However, the bat step runs fine in one machine and not the other. The only difference is in the version of .Net Core SDK. That's why I am surprised. Is it looking for an exact version of a specific command? Please let me know.

bat "dotnet restore"

Regards,
Venkatesh

Stuart Rowe

Oct 26, 2020, 12:06:37 PM10/26/20
to Jenkins Users
The folder containing the "dotnet" executable/script needs to be added to your PATH environment variable. It's likely that the machine where this command works already has the "dotnet" folder included in the PATH environment variable.