Inventory of development flows for Jenkinsfile and Pipeline Library

Martin d'Anjou

Sep 6, 2017, 10:23:50 AM9/6/17
to Jenkins Users
I'd like to inventory the current development flows for unit testing, integration testing and release of Jenkinsfile and Pipeline DSL libraries.

I am guessing everyone's objective is to reach a level where a single "gradle" or "mvn" command runs all tests and deploys a new set of Jenkinsfile/Pipeline Libraries to production servers.

There is a ticket open on this topic: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-33925

Here is what I have found so far:
I am probably not giving these projects the full credit and description they deserve, feel free to comment and complete the list. I feel the objective is within reach, what do you think?

Martin

Christopher Orr

Sep 6, 2017, 6:59:22 PM9/6/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, at 16:23, Martin d'Anjou wrote:
> I'd like to inventory the current development flows for unit testing,
> integration testing and release of Jenkinsfile and Pipeline DSL
> libraries.

Sounds good.

> I am guessing everyone's objective is to reach a level where a single
> "gradle" or "mvn" command runs all tests and deploys a new set of
> Jenkinsfile/Pipeline Libraries to production servers.
>
> There is a ticket open on this
> topic: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-33925
>
> Here is what I have found so far:
>
> - The replay button in Jenkins
> - Not much of process here

There is the possibility to automate this somewhat, via the
`replay-pipeline` CLI command:
https://jenkins.io/blog/2016/04/14/replay-with-pipeline/

Regards,
Chris

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 9, 2017, 6:42:51 PM9/9/17
to Jenkins Users
Hi Martin,

You are always welcome to write an overview blogpost!
I have a plan to publish such one about the local Pipeline development, but I am not sure when I find some time for that.

Best regards,
Oleg

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 10, 2017, 10:14:14 AM9/10/17
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
+1, awesome idea. An entry like the "State of Jenkins Pipeline Testing" on jenkins.io would certainly be much useful to help this subject mature. And to that end we probably need more people trying different strategies to see what works well or less well. Hence trying to list the current strategies to make those more accessible to newcomers.