Logs inside BlueOcean do not get updated automatically

Christian Ciach

Mar 5, 2018, 9:08:25 AM3/5/18
to Jenkins Users
Hello,

I wish I could describe this issue better, but I have no idea how to debug this.

I am using the current version of Jenkins (2.106) with BlueOcean (1.4.2) on CentOS.

Usually, I would expect the logs inside BlueOcean to automatically update themself when my build logs new stuff, but this is not the case. I think the developers call this the "karaoke mode".

Watching the live log works nicely using the classic view at the URL "/job/JOBNAME/JOBNUMBER/console". But with BlueOcean, I have to refresh the whole page to see the updated log.

How can I even begin to debug this?

Best regards,
Christian Ciach

Vivek Pandey

Mar 5, 2018, 1:51:46 PM3/5/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

This looks like regression. I have opened https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-49929, we are going to take a look at it. Thanks for reporting.

Sent from my iPhone

R. Tyler Croy

Mar 5, 2018, 5:11:15 PM3/5/18
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Mon, 05 Mar 2018, Vivek Pandey wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> This looks like regression. I have opened
> https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-49929, we are going to take a
> look at it. Thanks for reporting.

Christian, are you using Firefox perhaps? I've noticed that "Karoake mode"
seems to stop when I switch away from Blue Ocean tabs for too long of time while a a Pipeline is running.

Josh speculated in Gitter that this might be somehow related to recent Firefox
features which "quiet" the background tabs.

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:08 AM Christian Ciach <dere...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I wish I could describe this issue better, but I have no idea how to debug
> > this.
> >
> > I am using the current version of Jenkins (2.106) with BlueOcean (1.4.2)
> > on CentOS.
> >
> > Usually, I would expect the logs inside BlueOcean to automatically update
> > themself when my build logs new stuff, but this is not the case. I think
> > the developers call this the "karaoke mode".
> >
> > Watching the live log works nicely using the classic view at the URL
> > "/job/JOBNAME/JOBNUMBER/console". But with BlueOcean, I have to refresh the
> > whole page to see the updated log.
> >
> > How can I even begin to debug this?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Christian Ciach
> >
> > --
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/0120b425-2c72-4abd-8af5-89a9fdacdb96%40googlegroups.com
> > <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-users/0120b425-2c72-4abd-8af5-89a9fdacdb96%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> > .

> Sent from my iPhone

- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F
signature.asc

Christian Ciach

Mar 6, 2018, 12:17:57 PM3/6/18
to Jenkins Users
This happens for me with Firefox and with Chromium. Also, it doesn't matter how long the tab has been open; it happens with freshly opened tabs, too.

As I see, there is already a pull request that supposedly fixes that.

I really wonder that noone else reported this in the several weeks I've experienced this issue, so I was almost sure the issue was on my side. That's the reason I didn't create a ticket at the issue tracker.

I even started over again with a completely fresh installation with only the most essential plugins (like Blue Ocean), but the issue remained. I tried to debug it using the developer tools of Firefox, but there are no obvious javascript errors or .js-files that failed to load.

Thanks for your quick answers and for creating JENKINS-49929 for me!

Best regards