Trigger upstream job

Adharsha sri

Dec 17, 2021, 8:46:34 AM12/17/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

Need to trigger the upstream job from the run downstream job.

We are able to trigger the down stream job from upstream job but not in reverse direction.  Can you please help us.

Requirement:

First job <-- Second job

When I run second job it should trigger upstreamjob (I.e. first job). And first job should be independent.

Thanks,
Adharsha.

gma...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2021, 8:49:52 AM12/17/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Adharsha,

We use this in our pipeline and works:

def job = build([

job: “Job/name”,

wait: true,

propagate: false
])

What are the errors that you are experience on doing it?

Can you add more details?

Cheers,

Gianluca.

Adharsha sri

Dec 17, 2021, 9:10:55 AM12/17/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
We created 2 freestyle jobs( first job, second job) and we have mentioned first job in build trigger - build after other projects are build( if build is stable)  in second job configuration. When we click  buildnow in second job , it need to trigger first job and if it is successfully completed then the second job should run, but it is not happening.

Thanks,
Adharsha.

gma...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2021, 9:40:22 AM12/17/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com

Hi Adharsha,

We don’t use freestyle, so I may not be the best person to help you.

I’m struggling although to understand the logic you want to implement.

You said that in the “second job” configuration you configured “build trigger” and selected “first job”.

But then you said you click “Build Now” on the “second job”.

That is not how the “build trigger” works.

On the basis of your configuration, it’s when you click “Build Now” on the “first job” that the “second job” will be triggered if the “first job” succeed.

Probably you got confused by the difference in English between “build trigger” and “trigger build” 😉 I get confused many times too.

So, if you want that “second job” trigger build of “first job” then you need to configure a “build trigger” on the “first job” mentioning the “second job”.

I hope that is what you are looking for.

Adharsha sri

Dec 20, 2021, 12:12:44 AM12/20/21
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Requirment is to trigger the upstream job( freestyle jobs). Can anyone please help in this.

Björn Pedersen

Dec 20, 2021, 2:10:52 AM12/20/21
to Jenkins Users
You should really think through what you want and always keep the jobs hierachically ordered. To accomplish what  you want you need an explict trigger Job1 step (maybe a plugin is needed for freestyle builds). But beware that if you also have a trigger in job2 that triggers after job1 success, then you may easily create an endless loop....