[vJAM] - Next meetup - Jenkins contribution 101?

Oleg Nenashev

May 19, 2016, 3:51:50 PM5/19/16
to jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Alyssa Tong, R Tyler Croy, Steve Christou, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I wanted to follow-up on the second online meetup. Since we have newcomers in the project (GSoC students, new plugin devs), it may be useful to conduct a Jenkins Development 101 meetup.

I would propose to conduct a meetup and repeat presentations from Hacksgiving and other intro presentations in order to minimize preparation efforts.

Possible talks:

  • (?) - Top-level community overview
    • I have some slides for it, but may be a subject for a Jenkins board representative
  • Steven - Plugin development
  • Tyler - jenkins.io - Writing blogposts and documentation
  • Daniel - Stapler
  • Tom(?) - new JavaScript-based UI development flow
  • Oleg(?) - Test Automation in Jenkins Project
  • All - Q&A Session

What do you think? Maybe we could conduct such event on the first/second week of June.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Martin d'Anjou

May 19, 2016, 6:59:26 PM5/19/16
to Steve Christou, Oleg Nenashev, jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Alyssa Tong, R Tyler Croy, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com
Steven,

If you could focus on Pipeline DSL plugin development rather than on traditional plugin development (the extensions are not from the same classes, etc.) it would be beneficial to Alex's project, the External Workspace Manager Plugin.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Oleg Nenashev

May 20, 2016, 1:52:26 AM5/20/16
to Martin d'Anjou, Steve Christou, jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Alyssa Tong, R Tyler Croy, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Can we do this the second wk of June? This will give us about 2wks get people to RSVP. So that means I will need content to post on meetup.com as soon as possible, by tomorrow if possible.

Second week is less preferable from GSoC PoV, but I think mentors will be able to provide enough information. Jun 8 is a governance meeting. So maybe Jun 7 (common meeting time)? Would it be fine if we publish it without a final list of talks/speakers? Maybe we could allocate the slot and provide a preliminary list of talks.

Regarding the duration, I think we should not go beyond 3 hours. So it means about 3 talks (2 short + 1 long) + Q&A. So maybe we could even allocate 2 meetup slots.

If you could focus on Pipeline DSL plugin development rather than on traditional plugin development (the extensions are not from the same classes, etc.) it would be beneficial to Alex's project, the External Workspace Manager Plugin.

I think classic plugin development is still important (plugin structure, extension points, how to build/debug, simple UI). But I agree that Pipeline plugin development training would be useful as well.

R. Tyler Croy

May 23, 2016, 7:27:47 PM5/23/16
to Alyssa Tong, Oleg Nenashev, Martin d'Anjou, Steve Christou, jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com

Top-posting because I'm just the worst.

I do not think it is prudent to schedule anything until we have some speakers
lined up. And as Alyssa mentioned that no less than two weeks notice is
preferrable. I believe anything over two talks is going to be too much for one
event, since this is "online" there's not break times between like you might
have at a normal meetup. IMHO 2x45 minute talks would be the most ideal format.

If we can lock in a couple speakers before the end of the week, one talking
'standard' plugin dev, and one talking pipeline plugin dev (e.g. adding fancy
new steps), then I think we can sanely schedule something for June 14-16.

I understand the GSoC angle here, but these sessions will be recorded for
posterity and while we might miss some interactivity from students, it's not as
if the content will be lost and gone forever :)

On Fri, 20 May 2016, Alyssa Tong wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I wanted to follow-up on the second online meetup. Since we have
> >> newcomers in the project (GSoC students, new plugin devs), it may be useful
> >> to conduct a Jenkins Development 101 meetup.
> >>
> >> I would propose to conduct a meetup and repeat presentations from
> >> Hacksgiving and other intro presentations in order to minimize preparation
> >> efforts.
> >>
> >> Possible talks:
> >>
> >> - (?) - Top-level community overview
> >> - I have some slides for it, but may be a subject for a Jenkins
> >> board representative
> >> - Steven - Plugin development
> >> - Tyler - jenkins.io - Writing blogposts and documentation
> >> - Daniel - Stapler
> >> - Tom(?) - new JavaScript-based UI development flow
> >> - Oleg(?) - Test Automation in Jenkins Project
> >> - All - Q&A Session
> >>
> >> What do you think? Maybe we could conduct such event on the first/second

- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 3F51E16F
signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

May 24, 2016, 2:11:16 AM5/24/16
to Alyssa Tong, R. Tyler Croy, Martin d'Anjou, Steve Christou, jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com
We've got preliminary confirmation from Daniel, Steven, Tom and me. So we have enough speakers to schedule the first presentation independently from the format we select.

I have not scheduled anything on the weekend (motivation loss), but we can go forward now.

BR, Oleg

does it make sense to break this up into multiple vJAM sessions? 1 to 2 sessions per month

Oleg Nenashev

May 24, 2016, 5:28:41 PM5/24/16
to Alyssa Tong, R. Tyler Croy, Martin d'Anjou, Steve Christou, jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com, Jesse Glick
I agree with Tyler that 2 longer talks are preferable. I would also add a short talk to the end (e.g. testing).

Then I would vote for something like that:

Meetup #1. Plugin Development. Basics
* Steven - Plugin Development. Classic talk (40 min)
* Jesse (?) - Plugin Development. Pipeline (40 min)
* TBD: Oleg - Jenkins Test Harness [and Pipeline extensions?] (20 min)

Meetup #2. Plugin Development. UI
* Daniel - Stapler [and Jelly/Groovy] (40 min)
* Tom - New JavaScript-based UI development flow (40 min)
* (? Andrew/Oliver/Bobby) - Acceptance Test Harness (20 min)

Meetup #3. Jenkins contribution 101 - Unconfirmed
* (?) - Top-level community overview
* (?) - Common project infrastructure: GitHub, Pull-requests, Jenkins-on-Jenkins, etc.
* Tyler(?) - jenkins.io - Writing blogposts and documentation

Best regards,
Oleg

Minudika Malshan

May 25, 2016, 8:10:19 AM5/25/16
to Oleg Nenashev, Alyssa Tong, R. Tyler Croy, Martin d'Anjou, Steve Christou, jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com, Jesse Glick
+1
Looking forward to learn more about on Plugin development and UI

Oleg Nenashev

May 26, 2016, 1:22:15 AM5/26/16
to Minudika Malshan, Alyssa Tong, R. Tyler Croy, Martin d'Anjou, Steve Christou, jenkins...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Daniel Beck, Tom Fennelly, jenkinsci-gs...@googlegroups.com, Jesse Glick
Thanks Alyssa!

@Jesse
BTW what date range is being discussed? I am moving in early June so I
may or may not be able to do it.

The target date for the meetup is June 14th. Does it work for you?

BR, Oleg