[GSOC 2020 PROJECT IDEA] Jenkins distribution customize service

Rick

Jan 3, 2020, 10:11:14 PM1/3/20
to jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Hi team,

Thanks for your time to review my proposal.

Here is the background. For many users, they download Jenkins first, then select some plugins and config them. It might take a lot of time, like hours. But if we can get a perfect Jenkins distribution which contains all we need, it can save that time for us. Yes, I propose an out of the box solution.

The service could be like this, a website offered as https://customize.jenkins.io. Plus, it should be self-host. People can select the following configurations:
  • Jenkins core version
  • plugins
  • common configuration, user/password, update-center site e.g.
  • plugin based configuration, Kubernetes, Sonarqube plugin config e.g.
  • other things
Two projects are expected backend and frontend. I suggest start the backend project with Golang because it's more lightweight, or we can consider other solutions as well. I think https://github.com/jenkinsci/custom-war-packager already did a lot of works. We can reuse it in this project. The backend should provide the modern Restful API.

About the frontend project, I don't have too many experiences on it.

Any feedbacks are very appreciated.

Best regards,
Rick

Marky Jackson

Jan 3, 2020, 10:15:09 PM1/3/20
to Rick, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
I like the sounds of this project Rick!
We will be meeting on the 8th I believe to go over projects.
Thank you very much for submitting.

Martin d'Anjou

Jan 3, 2020, 10:28:29 PM1/3/20
to Rick, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Interesting idea.
Right now users (like me) have to "compose" a Jenkins instance manually, then configure it, first manually, then with config-as-code.
The major difficulty is in reproducing the plugin line-up esp. when using the latest "top level plugins".

Martin

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 4, 2020, 5:21:28 PM1/4/20
to Martin d'Anjou, Rick, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
As an author of Custom WAR Packager, I agree it could be an great project. Personally I would prefer if we had a Configuraion-as-Code generator as a first step (generating a stub Git repo for Docker packaging or K8s). Generating WARs and images could be built on top of that later.

Regarding the implementation, I am not sure about using Go. Custom War Packager reuses a lot of Jenkins libs, and going to Go would require their rewrite.

FTR Custom War Packager 2.x is under slow development (alpja), and it gives a lot of freedom for delivering the desired changes.

Since all of us agree w.r.t the idea, I suggest moving this discussion to the developer mailing list.

BR, Oleg

gunnerf...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2020, 8:29:24 AM1/8/20
to jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Sounds like a really interesting idea,considering the backed would help provide a more modern restful API , it would benefit the community in the long run as well since those API's could be reused elsewhere, In terms of the front-end we could go with the more dynamic Ionic/React framework and the Java Spring Back-end but I am not too sure about the synergy, I would love to help to develop a Proof of Concept to get started if required.

Rick

Jan 8, 2020, 9:16:33 PM1/8/20
to Sladyn Nunes, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Thanks for the feedback from all yours. I'll take advice from Oleg to move this discussion to the developer mailing list. I believe it can get more feedback. Of course, I will do my best to include all the opinions from here.

mywork...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2020, 3:48:35 AM2/26/20
to jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Hey Guys. I've already texted in Gitter. So, I think I can take it as a GSoC project. Would be nice though to define the scope in more detail. I would prefer to work mostly on backend side, but can do some web-UI part too. Should I make a draft of a proposal?

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 26, 2020, 3:55:13 AM2/26/20
to mywork...@gmail.com, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
Hi,

Sure, feel free to proceed with the proposal draft! All our project ideas are open-ended by design, we expect students to research them and to define the scope in their proposals. Every student has their own vision and interests (e.g. your preference towards the backend part), and we want to encourage students to create original project proposals which match their interests and learning goals better.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Kirill Yankov

Feb 26, 2020, 8:46:38 AM2/26/20
to jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
I have looked into the current proposal in slightly more details.

- So as I understood, the main goal is to wrap the "custom-war-packager" with a rest-api. Side goal is to maybe add some more functionality. Just to clarify: did I understand it right?
- Do you think CLI is also needed, as "custom-war-packager" already has CLI?

Rick

Mar 24, 2020, 7:34:47 PM3/24/20
to jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
We'll have a meeting to discuss the Jenkins distribution customize service at Mar 26 Thursday UTC-10:AM. Please join in us if you have time. I'll send the Zoom link in 10 minutes before the meeting in the Gitter channel https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/gsoc-sig.