Notification when new image pushed to docker hub

Ewelina Wilkosz

Jun 4, 2020, 3:55:46 AM6/4/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi!

I am trying to automate updating jenkins when new lts image is released
do you know:
1. if there is some notification mechanism in place? something I can "watch" and learn that new version is out?
2. I do not want to really go for "jenkins/jenkins:lts", I want to match lts to specific version. Anyone has an elegant way of getting, e.g. from docker hub, the information which other tags are applied to "lts" image?

not sure if docker hub or e.g. github is the right place to look for those information/event

it's a very general idea for now :) no specific technical solutions in place, checking what's available

Marky Jackson

Jun 4, 2020, 3:59:08 AM6/4/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Would this be for a production type instances of Jenkins or a personal instance?

Ewelina Wilkosz

Jun 4, 2020, 4:04:47 AM6/4/20
to Jenkins Developers
well it wouldn't automatically, blindly try to apply it on production :)

the process I have in mind is:
1. new lts pushed to docker hub
2. I get notified/I monitor and discover it happened
3. I discover what is the actual version number for lts
4. I update my Dockerfile and build new docker image

I know I can pull the image and check the version e.g. with inspect, but I was wondering if it is possible to get the information without pulling, and if there is some notification mechanism in place

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 9:59:08 AM UTC+2, Marky Jackson wrote:
Would this be for a production type instances of Jenkins or a personal instance?

On Jun 4, 2020, at 12:55 AM, Ewelina Wilkosz <ewel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi!

I am trying to automate updating jenkins when new lts image is released
do you know:
1. if there is some notification mechanism in place? something I can "watch" and learn that new version is out?
2. I do not want to really go for "jenkins/jenkins:lts", I want to match lts to specific version. Anyone has an elegant way of getting, e.g. from docker hub, the information which other tags are applied to "lts" image?

not sure if docker hub or e.g. github is the right place to look for those information/event

it's a very general idea for now :) no specific technical solutions in place, checking what's available

Marky Jackson

Jun 4, 2020, 4:08:12 AM6/4/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I have always had super good luck writing a go script job and incorporating https://github.com/crazy-max/diun

On Jun 4, 2020, at 1:04 AM, Ewelina Wilkosz <ewel...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/b18d49b6-a411-4d5e-bdc3-ceb6da1979eb%40googlegroups.com.

Ewelina Wilkosz

Jun 4, 2020, 4:15:01 AM6/4/20
to Jenkins Developers
wow, thanks a lot!!

Marky Jackson

Jun 4, 2020, 4:17:25 AM6/4/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Most welcome!
So I usually just write a script that run this and then uses the built in email notification from a Jenkins job. Maybe not the most glorious way but it solves the immediate need.
Have a good rest of the week 🙂

On Jun 4, 2020, at 1:15 AM, Ewelina Wilkosz <ewel...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/67357173-17f0-4ba1-ac67-bf6f85dd490a%40googlegroups.com.

Gavin Mogan

Jun 4, 2020, 5:09:19 AM6/4/20
to Jenkins Developers
I use dependabot that gives me a new pr for each version

Also I think this is better suited for the users list since this is not a question about developing Jenkins but using it

Ewelina Wilkosz

Jun 4, 2020, 5:11:56 AM6/4/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I hoped to get answer from people involved in jenkins release process and dev made sense for me

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAG%3D_Dut5FY7%2B2CRe2oQdAu8reXdbUQnt8yeCUBAyaqRXS0_DAQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Tim Jacomb

Jun 4, 2020, 12:46:18 PM6/4/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Ewelina

I highly recommend using dependabot for this

Thanks
Tim