How to rename a Jenkins plugin?

Matt Murphy

Oct 9, 2019, 4:55:17 AM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers

I’m the maintainer for the the IBM Application Security on Cloud plugin.  The cloud service that this plugin interacts with is no longer owned by IBM, so I’d like to rename the plugin.  I don’t want to publish a new plugin with the new name because that would force users to reconfigure their jobs.

I tried searching for steps to accomplish this, but I haven’t found anything.  Is it possible to rename a plugin (including changing the groupId)?

Thanks for your help.

Tim Jacomb

Oct 9, 2019, 9:13:41 AM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers
Normally you would update the plugin name in the your pom.xml and do a release

This will update the display name but not the artifact ID, i.e. it will still show up in URLs like the plugin site

Other than that I  think you need to publish a new version that has an administrative monitor / log messages telling users to migrate to the new one

Thanks
Tim

Daniel Beck

Oct 9, 2019, 9:44:25 AM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers

> On 8. Oct 2019, at 19:01, Matt Murphy <matthew...@hcl.com> wrote:
>
> I tried searching for steps to accomplish this, but I haven’t found anything. Is it possible to rename a plugin (including changing the groupId)?

Group ID can be changed, just need an update of the permissions YAML file. Display name can be changed arbitrarily. Artifact ID is the difficult one. If you change that, it's considered a different plugin, so your users will need to migrate.

You might be able to make it easier by moving actual code over to the new plugin, adding a dependency to the new plugin from the (now gutted) old plugin, and then users *should* get the migration mostly for free. Add an admin monitor informing them that the old plugin can now be removed, and done.

This is not a particularly well-travelled path though, so there may be unexpected problems, and it might be easier to just live with the with the old artifact ID. Older components in the Pipeline plugins suite still have the ca. pre-2015 'workflow-' prefix.

Matt Murphy

Oct 9, 2019, 11:32:03 AM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks.  Unfortunately, the artifactId contains "ibm", so I would like to change that, as well.  That's an interesting idea regarding having the new plugin depend on the old one.  I'll look into that.

Matt Murphy

Daniel Beck

Oct 9, 2019, 11:34:42 AM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers

> On 9. Oct 2019, at 16:47, Matt Murphy <matthew...@hcl.com> wrote:
>
> That's an interesting idea regarding having the new plugin depend on the old one

The other way around, so any users who update the old plugin get the new one as a dependency (it must not be allowed to dynamically load though).

Matt Murphy

Oct 9, 2019, 11:54:18 AM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers
I see.  That makes sense.  Thanks.