Proposal: Jenkins Code of Conduct update (Contributor Covenant 1.3 -> 1.4)

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 12, 2020, 5:06:17 PM6/12/20
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Governance Board
Dear all,

As a follow-up to the previous Governance meeting, I would like to propose updating the Jenkins Code of Conduct (CoC). Currently it is based on Contributor Covenant 1.3 which was officially adopted on Jan 06, 2016. Contributor Covenant is widely used in open-source projects, and this was the most recent version at that time. Now there are versions 1.4 and 2.0 of Contributor Covenant.

Why update?  New versions of Contributor Covenant  extend our version significantly, e.g. pledge and standards, unacceptable behavior, representing the project and social media matters, etc. These changes are pretty important IMHO. Also, we have recently started a process of aligning the Jenkins project with graduated project criteria defined by the Continuous Delivery Foundation (see the proposal from Tracy Miranda here). One of the checklist items is adopting the CDF's Code of Conduct which is based on Contributor Covenant 1.4.

Background.  At the last Governance Meeting on Jun 03 we had a sync-up with Dan Lorenc who is the current CDF Technical Oversight Committee chair. Links are here: recording, meeting notes. Some clarification we have got:
  • CDF does not require us to adopt the CDF Code of Conduct as long as the Jenkins project has one and as long as they are aligned. We interpret it as using a similar or compatible version of Contributor Covenant.
  • CDF is fine with a 2-stage escalation process. We can keep the Jenkins Governance Board as a first stage as it is currently documented. CDF can act as a second level of escalation and as an entity for mitigating cross-project Code of Conduct escalations should it happen
  • Right now there is no confirmed plan to update CDF's Code of Conduct to version 2.0
There is also a consensus that we would like to update the code of conduct, especially taking the terminology update discussions which are a sensitive topic to many Jenkins contributors. We have 3 options:
  • Update to Contributor Covenant 1.4
  • Update to Contributor Covenant 2.0. Note that there is still no changelog for the version 2.0, some "breaking changes" are mentioned here. There is also no Git tags, so we cannot really ensure that the version 2.0 is fixed
  • Keep it as is, Contributor Covenant 1.3
Proposal: I suggest updating Jenkins Code of Conduct to version 1.4. Taking the lack of changelog and Git tags for the version 2.0, I am not sure it is worth going with this version for now. The breaking changes also seem to be pretty important, and I am not sure we want to deviate from the CDF's CoC version and explore the legal differences. We can update CoC again when and if CDF goes to a higher version of Contributor Covenant.

I would appreciate any feedback, and I suggest to vote on the update at the next Governance meeting on June 17th.

Thanks for your time,
Oleg Nenashev

Marky Jackson

Jun 12, 2020, 5:08:20 PM6/12/20
to 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Developers, Jenkins Governance Board
I am a +1 to the proposal and feel this will benefit the community greatly.

signature.asc

Tracy Miranda

Jun 12, 2020, 5:31:48 PM6/12/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1 for proposal (1.4 version)

Tracy

Jeff Thompson

Jun 12, 2020, 6:22:42 PM6/12/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

I couldn't find any good information on the differences between the versions so I cloned the repo and diffed between the versions. It works pretty well, though it's a little difficult to understand the differences at times.

I find that each new version is an improvement over the previous. The 1.4 is better than the 1.3. I find that the 2.0 version is best.

The 2.0 version changes to using "community" consistently. Formerly it used both "project" and "community".

This line is added to expected behavior in 2.0 and I really like its inclusion: "Accepting responsibility and apologizing to those affected by our mistakes, and learning from the experience."

I like this addition in 2.0: "and will communicate reasons for moderation decisions when appropriate." As one who has moderated and been moderated in a variety of forums, communicating reasons is valuable.

This part is very nicely improved in 2.0: "All complaints will be reviewed and investigated promptly and fairly. All community leaders are obligated to respect the privacy and security of the reporter of any incident." This can be extremely important when an incident occurs.

Version 2.0 adds enforcement guidelines, which are important to spell out if there are ever any misbehaviors. Over the past few years, I've read many cases of communities, virtual and physical, who have encountered misbehaving individuals. Having a code of conduct has turned out to be very valuable for them. Having some part of it include enforcement gives the leaders and members something to refer to.

I believe the 2.0 version contains the best and latest understandings on these issues and that we would be best to adopt it.

Jeff

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 13, 2020, 2:49:58 PM6/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
HiJeff,

I agree that Contributor Covenant 2.0 is generally better, especially for a large community like Jenkins. This version basically includes statements of the Community Covenant which covers wider areas. I am fine with exploring this option more.

I have contacted the Contributor Covenant author in the GitHub Issue referenced above. Maybe we could have an official changelog for this version. Once ready I will submit a question to CDF TOC about using this version, it is important to have explicit sign-off so that we comply with Graduated Project requirements.

Let's discuss both 1.4 and 2.0 options at the next governance meeting.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 16, 2020, 11:51:07 AM6/16/20
to Jenkins Developers
Update w.r.t the code of conduct update options:
Based on feedback, I have added 2 votes to the Governance meeting:
  • Vote: Update from Contributor Covenant 1.3 to 1.4
  • Vote: Update from Contributor Covenant 1.3 to 2.0
Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 19, 2020, 8:12:07 AM6/19/20
to Jenkins Developers
UPD: At the Jun 17 Governance meeting we discussed the Code of Conduct update and agreed to go forward with updating to Contributor Covenant 2.0 (6 votes in favor, no against/abstains). We have NOT approved the new code of Conduct yet.

Next steps:
  • Oleg - to propose a pull request to jenkins.io with a Code of Conduct update
    • Contributor Covenant Update
    • CDF as a second level of escalation
    • Aligning enforcement rules, etc.
  • Formally voting for a suggested code of conduct PR at the next governance meeting (July 1st)
Recording of the discussion: https://youtu.be/3g0GKvVHfgI?t=501

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 24, 2020, 6:27:07 AM6/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Pull request with Code of conduct is ready for update: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/3477

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 1, 2020, 3:00:00 AM7/1/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Thanks to everyone who reviewed it! Just a reminder, today we will be voting for approving the pull request as a new Code of Conduct version

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 2, 2020, 9:28:24 AM7/2/20
to Jenkins Developers
The code of conduct was approved at the Jenkins Governance Meeting on Jul 01: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Nr8QpqYgBiZjORplL_3Zkwys2qK1vEvK-NYyYa4rzg/edit#heading=h.6rx5y09hwmtihttps://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/3477 is accepted, with 7 approvals and no negative votes in total. Links:
Thanks to all contributors!

Best regards,
Oleg Nenaev
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to jenkinsci-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.