Request to adopt a plugin

Himanshu Gautam

Oct 1, 2020, 3:17:19 PM10/1/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

We recognize the value provided by the Amazon EC2 plugin. Since it is up for adoption, We love to help maintain it.

Here is the link to the plugin: https://plugins.jenkins.io/ec2/

Our GitHub usernames:
Our Jenkins infrastructure IDs:
hgautam
dgautam

Regards,
Himanshu Gautam and Deepika Gautam

Mark Waite

Oct 1, 2020, 3:21:25 PM10/1/20
to jenkinsci-dev
Thanks to you and Deepika for your willingness to help.  That's great!

We usually prefer that those adopting a plugin have submitted pull requests to the plugin prior to adopting it.  Have you previously submitted pull requests to the plugin?  If not, would you be willing to start with pull requests?

To others, I've worked with Himanshu and Deepika on Jenkins training.  I'm +1 to allow them to adopt the plugin but would love to have support from others that are willing to assist them while they work on the plugin.

Himanshu Gautam

Oct 1, 2020, 6:04:04 PM10/1/20
to Jenkins Developers
Thank you Mark.

No we have not submitted any pull requests yet. Surely we can start with them.

Thanks again. Looking forward to contribute to the Jenkins community.

Regards,
Himanshu

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 2, 2020, 9:41:22 AM10/2/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

There might be some confusion. According to the commit history, the plugin is actively maintained now: https://github.com/jenkinsci/ec2-plugin/commits/master . Last substantial merge was 2 weeks ago . Ramon Leon has took ownership 5 months ago according to https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/pull/1533 , and then another maintainer joined on Aug 25: https://groups.google.com/g/jenkinsci-dev/c/alJpUbtKYh0/m/4QpxyYHoBQAJ

I suspect that the maintainers just forgot to remove the adopt-this-plugin GitHub topic. Before we proceed with ownership transfer, I think we need explicit confrmation from Ramon Leon and Martin Frobles.

Best regards,
Oleg

Matt Sicker

Oct 2, 2020, 11:13:14 AM10/2/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I believe the label was re-added because there were no active
maintainers anymore except for some security issues being patched
(orthogonal to the maintenance of the plugin).

--
Matt Sicker
Senior Software Engineer, CloudBees

Manuel Ramón León Jiménez

Oct 2, 2020, 11:25:50 AM10/2/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Glad to see you're both willing to help on that. We cannot say the plugin is abandoned, recently Francisco Robles Martín joined us and Raihaan Shouhell is doing a pretty good job.

I've removed the adopt-this-plugin topic from the repo to avoid further confusions. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It would be great to have you both aboard, we would like you to contribute with some PRs first to become a maintainer to have enough confidence you understand pretty well the plugin and each merge implications.

If you like challenges I urge you to rethink the UI, the configuration page right now is very hard to use effectively and it would help enormously to any Jenkins administrator trying to use the plugin. Looking into it is a good way to take deep knowledge about how it works.

Thank you for your interest, looking forward to seeing your first Pull Request.

Best regards.