Using JEP process for future design changes to Declarative Pipeline?

Liam Newman

May 1, 2018, 8:30:11 PM5/1/18
to Jenkins Developers
Andrew Bayer has been doing great work on Declarative pipeline.  He's done excellent work creating clear and understandable design discussions in JIRA and in the Pull Requests to the plugin. From design to implementation (including keeping documention) up to date, I think his work has been top notch.

That said, JIRA and PRs are not the idea place to have design discussions nor the best place to document the reasoning behind those design choice.  Details get lost in long threads, it is not always clear what stage the design is at, and the actual final proposed design is sometimes less clear that it could be.

Now that we have the Jenkins Enhancement Proposal process, I think it would be great if we started using it to track future design changes to Declarative Pipeline DSL.

I'd like to know what folks (including Andrew) think of this idea?

Thanks,
Liam Newman
Jenkins Evangelist

Andrew Bayer

May 2, 2018, 11:20:45 AM5/2/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
fwiw, I am 100% behind the idea of JEP for non-trivial changes to Declarative.

A.

Baptiste Mathus

May 4, 2018, 10:13:27 AM5/4/18
to Jenkins Developers
Sure, why not? I don't think JEP are designed to be limited to core.

But yes definitely we need to encourage more plugin developers to go through this process for the benefit of everyone wrt to (hopefully) engagement and more fluidity once validated by more eyes.