Dependabot option: Treat PR approval as a request to merge

Jesse Glick

May 19, 2020, 5:57:08 PM5/19/20
to Jenkins Dev
Assuming I am actually permitted to do so, should I try to check the option

> Treat PR approval as a request to merge

in https://app.dependabot.com/accounts/jenkinsci/settings ? This would
make it easier to merge routine dependency updates, by just approving
without having to also type

@dependabot merge

(Unfortunately this is not yet available as a per-repo config option.)

Gavin Mogan

May 19, 2020, 6:18:02 PM5/19/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1 from me.

Mark Waite

May 19, 2020, 6:35:06 PM5/19/20
to jenkinsci-dev
+1 from me.

Oleg Nenashev

May 20, 2020, 12:59:17 AM5/20/20
to Jenkins Developers
If I understand correctly it will lead to a merge on the first approval, without waiting for reviews. It is fine for some repositories, but may be a problem for others. E.g. I would not like to see such automatic behavior in JCasC, Jenkinsfile Runner or in the Jenkins core once there is a Dependabot there. For the Jenkins core it would violate our current merge policy.

I am -1 for having it enabled globally.

BR, Oleg

On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 12:35:06 AM UTC+2, Mark Waite wrote:
+1 from me.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 3:57 PM Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
Assuming I am actually permitted to do so, should I try to check the option

> Treat PR approval as a request to merge

in https://app.dependabot.com/accounts/jenkinsci/settings ? This would
make it easier to merge routine dependency updates, by just approving
without having to also type

@dependabot merge

(Unfortunately this is not yet available as a per-repo config option.)

Gavin Mogan

May 20, 2020, 1:22:25 AM5/20/20
to Jenkins Developers
I'm pretty sure you can configure automerge in the config file, but you can't enable it till its enabled org wise. Auto merge (not sure about approval merge) will be removed from non beta version of dependabot.

You can configure merging rules for protected branches. It won't bypass that. So needs 2 reviewers, CI passing, etc. Then admins can override that.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/d21c9370-219a-4a20-9b23-9e025e4bec9e%40googlegroups.com.