Jenkins Blue Ocean Roadmap

Ryan

Jun 19, 2018, 1:31:28 PM6/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,
   I work on a team that really enjoys using Jenkins with Blue Ocean.  I'm curious if there's a better, more up-to-date roadmap than what's available here: https://jenkins.io/projects/blueocean/roadmap/.  The roadmap is great, but it appears out of date, it references features expected in 1.4.0, etc, while 1.5.0 is out, and it looks like 1.6.0 is in beta.  Is there someplace that describes what is up-coming/planned for the new releases?

Thanks,
Best,
Ryan

Jenn Briden

Jun 27, 2018, 5:05:08 PM6/27/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello, I am the product manager now working on the plugins for Jenkins pipeline and Blue Ocean. We're moving away from monolithic, long-lived roadmaps in favor of sharing areas of development and encouraging the community to submit Jenkins Enhancement Proposals (JEPs). I will have a PR out for the changes to the page in a few days. :)

Ryan

Jun 27, 2018, 11:08:08 PM6/27/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Jenn,
   That's fantastic.  I can understand how a multi-year roadmap will take some turns along the way, or maybe even go a different direction.  I'm honestly excited that there's active, forward-leaning, development going on again.  I do think having a roadmap gives the community some sense of the momentum that's has gotten behind Jenkins that I haven't felt in this community for years, so I'd encourage you to try to keep something like that up.  The release cadence and momentum has been great.

   I asked the question because I've been watching and hoping the GitLab support will continue/increase, specifically, from the roadmap - Read & Write from the GitLab Server (https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43976).  We use GitLab so always looking for more support here.

   The JEP process looks interesting, are you looking for the community to take things like the GitLab support and turn it into a JEP?  I saw the list here: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/tree/master/jep

Thanks,
Best,
Ryan

Craig Rodrigues

Aug 17, 2018, 4:43:19 PM8/17/18
to Jenn Briden, Jenkins Developers
Jenn,

Thank you for managing Jenkins pipeline and Blue Ocean.  Those technologies
have really improved the user experience of using Jenkins, and adoption is quickly
growing.  In the companies I have worked at, everyone that I have shown Blue Ocean to
has liked it.

I would like to request two things from your team:

1.  Have more of a presence on the Blue Ocean gitter channel ( https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/blueocean-plugin ) from people (either manage or developer) who are actively working on Blue Ocean.  I realize that everyone is busy, but even if someone from your team logged into that channel once a week or once a day, and quickly polled that for user issues and bug reports, that would be nice.

2.  In JIRA, configure it so that blueocean-plugin bugs get auto-assigned to a real person who can triage those bugs.  Right now when you create a bug against the blueocean-plugin, it is Unassigned:

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/issues/?jql=component%20in%20%20(blueocean-plugin)%20and%20assignee%20is%20empty%20and%20resolution%20%3D%20unresolved

I think these two things would help fill some of the potholes in Blue Ocean,
and improve the product.

Thank you.
--
Craig

Ryan Hendrickson

Aug 20, 2018, 12:24:32 PM8/20/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jennb...@gmail.com
Jenn,
   Did you have a PR out to update the page?  Can you send a link to the updated one?

Ryan

Ryan Hendrickson

Jan 7, 2019, 11:44:33 PM1/7/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jennifer Briden
Hi Jenn,
   Is there an update for this Roadmap?: https://jenkins.io/projects/blueocean/roadmap/  It looks like it's been somewhat updated since the summer.

   I see a thread going on about using a Google Summer of Code project to complete the GitLab integration.

   Is this Roadmap still the place to look for expected features in the future?

   Again, love Jenkins!

Thanks,
Ryan

Oleg Nenashev