Unable to release gitlab-plugin

Owen B. Mehegan

Feb 15, 2021, 11:46:13 PM2/15/21
to Jenkins Developers
I stepped back from maintaining the GitLab plugin a little over a year ago, and in the meantime Marky Jackson-Taulia was maintaining it. He put out one release successfully, but then the release got into a broken state and between that and his limited availability, we didn't make any further progress. Since he is now taking a break from open source work, and since there are some bug fixes on the plugin that users have been waiting on for a long time, I decided to try and get a release out to at least bring it up to date. Currently all tests pass, but when I run 'mvn release:prepare release:perform' it fails with the attached errors.

A couple of other things of note: the last successful release in Artifactory is 1.5.13, which was the first and only one that Marky was able to do. Since then GitHub shows tags/releases up to 1.5.17, but none of these ever made it to the update center. I expect 1.5.18 to be the next valid release. But you'll notice that in the release process we seem to check out the tag 1.5.15 - I have no idea why.

Any pointers on how to get this back on track would be appreciated :)
gitlab-plugin-failures.txt

Gavin Mogan

Feb 15, 2021, 11:51:35 PM2/15/21
to Jenkins Developers
that output says there's tons of javadoc errors which seems to stop the process half way through.

I recommend fixing those errors, or delete the javadoc blocks.

Owen B. Mehegan

Feb 16, 2021, 12:03:38 AM2/16/21
to Jenkins Developers
Ah yes, so! I pushed this change a little earlier as an experiment to fix one set of those errors:

But the errors for that line/doc remain. And it seems to fail because we are checking out tag 1.5.15 into target/checkout/ :

[INFO] Executing: /bin/sh -c cd /Users/owen/source/gitlab-plugin/target && git clone --branch gitlab-plugin-1.5.15 g...@github.com:jenkinsci/gitlab-plugin.git /Users/owen/source/gitlab-plugin/target/checkout

But I pushed the fix to master, naturally.

Gavin Mogan

Feb 16, 2021, 12:13:43 AM2/16/21
to Jenkins Developers
ah, i think you have left over files and/or your pom is in a weird state.

Try rolling back - https://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin/examples/rollback-release.html then delete tag (git tag -d tagname && git push origin :tagname) then try again.
or do another version number.

Owen B. Mehegan

Feb 16, 2021, 12:45:00 AM2/16/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hmm, the last successful release was in 09/2019 though - how do I roll back without messing up all that change history? Not sure what you mean by "do another version number." Rev from 1.5 to 1.6?

Jesse Glick

Feb 17, 2021, 7:24:16 AM2/17/21
to Jenkins Dev
Your Javadoc is still broken.

$ mvn -Dset.changelist -Pquick-build verify
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-javadoc-plugin:3.2.0:jar (attach-javadocs) on project gitlab-plugin: MavenReportException: Error while generating Javadoc:
[ERROR] Exit code: 1 - …/gitlab-plugin/target/generated-sources/annotations/com/dabsquared/gitlabjenkins/gitlab/hook/model/builder/generated/PushHookBuilder.java:144: error: reference not found
[ERROR]    * Sets the default value for the {@link PushHook#userUserName} property.
[ERROR]                                            ^
[ERROR] …/gitlab-plugin/target/generated-sources/annotations/com/dabsquared/gitlabjenkins/gitlab/hook/model/builder/generated/PushHookBuilder.java:149: warning - Tag @link: can't find userUserName in com.dabsquared.gitlabjenkins.gitlab.hook.model.PushHook

Now normally CI builds would do this, yet they are passing. It seems that your Maven metadata is incorrect: https://github.com/jenkinsci/gitlab-plugin/pull/1103#discussion_r577567711

There is no 1.5.18 tag, so once Javadoc and Maven metadata is fixed you should be ready to release.

Jesse Glick

Feb 17, 2021, 7:26:35 AM2/17/21
to Jenkins Dev
Oh and

> Release preparation already completed. You can now continue with release:perform, or start again using the -Dresume=false flag

Start with a clean checkout, or use `git clean -fdx`. (You can also use `mvn release:clean`.) maven-release-plugin is a mess; JEP-229 makes it unnecessary to go through this.

Owen Mehegan

Feb 17, 2021, 2:45:47 PM2/17/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, you were right on both points! Daniel Beck and I worked on it last night and finally figured out that my local checkout was borked ages ago. I fixed that, and then Daniel helped fix the javadoc, and I think that has sorted it out.