Enabling ImgBot in jenkinsci and in jenkins-infra/jenkins.io?

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 7, 2019, 4:09:29 AM10/7/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi all,

I would like to enable ImgBot in some of my plugins in order to optimize image sizes. ImgBot is a bot which creates pull requests with image optimizations, e.g. here is a sample pull requests for the Jenkins Core: https://github.com/oleg-nenashev/jenkins/pull/38. There are a lot of historical images in Jenkins, and it could be a good opportunity to optimize them.

There is a free open-source plan for ImgBot, so I think enabling the bot should not be a problem. As for other bots, I suggest we enable it in the org but do not enable it widely by default. Each plugin maintainer will be able to enable it on his/her own.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Raihaan Shouhell

Oct 7, 2019, 6:10:03 AM10/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
I think its a good idea  +1

Tim Jacomb

Oct 7, 2019, 8:17:56 AM10/7/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

Rick

Oct 7, 2019, 9:06:41 AM10/7/19
to Developers Jenkins

Mark Waite

Oct 7, 2019, 9:11:56 AM10/7/19
to jenkinsci-dev

Marky Jackson

Oct 7, 2019, 9:13:21 AM10/7/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

{
    "regards" : {
         "name" : “marky”,
         "phone" : "+1 (408) 464 2965”,
         "email" : “marky.r...@gmail.com",
         "team" : “jackson5“,
 “role” : “software engineer"
     }
 }

Baptiste Mathus

Oct 7, 2019, 11:25:26 AM10/7/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'm a bit unconvinced this really changes the situation given things are still versioned and kept in the repo history, but still +1 why not! :)

Liam Newman

Oct 7, 2019, 11:37:12 AM10/7/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
It's not about size in the repo but size being served.  +1.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 7, 2019, 6:45:52 PM10/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
Yes, it is only about the served/packaged size. There is no practical way to change the repo size, and optimizing images will actually increase that slightly.
But it is important to have content size optimized to improve loading times over network and to reduce package sizes

P.S: Don't forget to test it on the Chuck Norris plugin!

Le lun. 7 oct. 2019 à 10:09, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.n...@gmail.com> a écrit :
Hi all,

I would like to enable ImgBot in some of my plugins in order to optimize image sizes. ImgBot is a bot which creates pull requests with image optimizations, e.g. here is a sample pull requests for the Jenkins Core: https://github.com/oleg-nenashev/jenkins/pull/38. There are a lot of historical images in Jenkins, and it could be a good opportunity to optimize them.

There is a free open-source plan for ImgBot, so I think enabling the bot should not be a problem. As for other bots, I suggest we enable it in the org but do not enable it widely by default. Each plugin maintainer will be able to enable it on his/her own.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 7, 2019, 6:52:01 PM10/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks all, I have enabled it in the org. Feel free to add it to your repositories which have images.

Ullrich Hafner

Oct 8, 2019, 3:20:08 AM10/8/19
to Jenkins Developers
How do I add it to a repository? It is not listed below

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/c3b28a11-7c25-4e90-a71e-2ed0c80388eb%40googlegroups.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 8, 2019, 4:49:58 AM10/8/19
to Jenkins Developers
You should be able to configure it using https://github.com/organizations/jenkinsci/settings/installations/2628097
Please let me know if it does not work

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 9:20:08 AM UTC+2, Ullrich Hafner wrote:
How do I add it to a repository? It is not listed below

Ullrich Hafner

Oct 8, 2019, 6:51:31 AM10/8/19
to Jenkins Developers
I get a 404 :-(

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/2e9b475e-c3e7-40a4-bba0-ef626aee5151%40googlegroups.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 8, 2019, 6:55:37 AM10/8/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Anyway, enabled it for you. Will figure out what is the official way to manage it.

Are there any opinions about enabling it in the Jenkins core? As usual, it implies giving a bot a Write permission so that it can create PRs in local branches...

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/0215B490-60E6-4B95-AE68-B241A89949BF%40gmail.com.

Arnaud Héritier

Oct 8, 2019, 7:04:06 AM10/8/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
The same I cannot add / change anything in https://github.com/jenkinsci/cloudbees-jenkins-advisor-plugin/settings/installations
And if I go on the app side I can install it only in organisations I am an admin https://github.com/marketplace/imgbot
Only jenkinsci admins can either activate the bot on some repo or globally for all of them.
I am not sure there is any risk to do it globally
Can you captivate it fir cloudbees-jenkins-advisor-plugin please?

--
-----
Arnaud Héritier

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 16, 2019, 9:22:33 AM10/16/19
to Jenkins Developers
Is everyone fine with enabling it for the Jenkins Core repository?
Just to check whether we are ready for it

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 12:55 PM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anyway, enabled it for you. Will figure out what is the official way to manage it.

Are there any opinions about enabling it in the Jenkins core? As usual, it implies giving a bot a Write permission so that it can create PRs in local branches...

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 12:51 PM Ullrich Hafner <ullric...@gmail.com> wrote:
I get a 404 :-(
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jenkin...@googlegroups.com.

Mark Waite