How to safely upgrade the minimum Jenkins version

Mez Pahlan

Oct 7, 2018, 12:14:34 PM10/7/18
to Jenkins Developers
I'm looking to bump the minimum version of Jenkins for the plugin I maintain. Currently it is 1.625.3 which is a really old version of Jenkins. I want to move over to the 2.x line but was wondering what sort of strategy people recommend? I've checked out the stats for my plugin and it appears that around 75% of the current installs are on a version of Jenkins that I would like to bump the minimum version to, 2.73.3.

  1. Is this too much of a bump? Cutting off 25% of the user base sounds scary.
  2. If I am going to do that would it make sense to bump it up to a more recent LTS version?
  3. Is it worth doing this over a number of minor releases starting with the 2.7.3 LTS and bumping up every time I release another minor.

James Nord

Oct 7, 2018, 12:39:17 PM10/7/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
it's your plugin, if you feel you want to bump then go ahead.

But you maybe missreading those those stats.  Whilst 25% may not be on 2.73 they are also not the users that are upgrading your plugin, so you should not care (they don;t upgrade so why support it).  I am assuming 3.11 was released only a short time ago (1 install) and as such if you look at 1.3.2 then 90% of those users are on 2.138.1 or higher, meaning you are unlikely to lock out users.

/James

Mez Pahlan

Oct 7, 2018, 2:02:57 PM10/7/18
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks James

Version 3.11 is a weird one. It always existed on the stats before I joined the project and to be best of my knowledge it isn't a plugin version we've released. No idea how it got onto the stats page.

I think I am reading the stats incorrectly, thanks for the sense check. In that case I think I'll bump it straight up to my preferred level in the next minor update.