Backporting has started and the RC is scheduled for 19th May

raihaan...@gmail.com

May 8, 2021, 9:50:17 AM5/8/21
to Jenkins Developers

Oleg Nenashev

May 10, 2021, 5:35:08 AM5/10/21
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks to Raihaan for stepping up as the release lead for 2.289.1!
So far the changes look good. We might have a few extra backports to do before the deadline, and everyone is welcome to expedite potential backports into the tomorrow's weekly.

I wonder whether we should also create a Remoting 4.8 backport this time: https://github.com/jenkinsci/remoting/releases/tag/remoting-4.8
There are 2 bugfixes which seem important though we could also just embed 4.8 into the LTS line. THere is one performance RFE and one minor feature added, so just backporting the version looks safe enough

Untitled.png

Daniel Beck

May 10, 2021, 5:47:02 AM5/10/21
to JenkinsCI Developers
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 11:35 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks to Raihaan for stepping up as the release lead for 2.289.1!
So far the changes look good. We might have a few extra backports to do before the deadline, and everyone is welcome to expedite potential backports into the tomorrow's weekly.

I wonder whether we should also create a Remoting 4.8 backport this time: https://github.com/jenkinsci/remoting/releases/tag/remoting-4.8
There are 2 bugfixes which seem important though we could also just embed 4.8 into the LTS line. THere is one performance RFE and one minor feature added, so just backporting the version looks safe enough

Which bug fixes specifically would you consider important enough to backport this early, creating a risk of regressions? Are they regression fixes?

The exact timeline and interaction between changes is unclear to me, but IIUC, a "late backport" created half of the mess with 2.277.x.

Folks who want the latest & greatest features and non-critical bug fixes can always choose the weekly release line; LTS is for stability. As long as each line isn't worse than the one before (~regressions), we shouldn't try to force unproven changes into it last minute.

Basil Crow

May 10, 2021, 10:44:43 AM5/10/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

#449 is off-by-default and anyway only applies to the Swarm client
rather than the Jenkins controller. The other changes, while not
regression fixes, seem safe to me. I don't feel strongly either way.

Oleg Nenashev

May 10, 2021, 10:55:22 AM5/10/21
to JenkinsCI Developers
Then let's postpone it until .2 at least

jn...@cloudbees.com

May 11, 2021, 6:00:13 AM5/11/21
to Jenkins Developers
There are 2 regressions that I know of currently in 2.288,  one is a blocker and the other possibly so.

1. the `WithBridgeMethods` annotation no longer works and so we would break compatibility with plugins using bridge methods from core  PR to fix the injector is https://github.com/infradna/bridge-method-injector/pull/25 and this will need a release and a Jenkins PR and then backporting. (will create a Jira soon)

2. the HTML form submission has broken quite a few tests (could be HTMLUnit bug, or other but there are a number of plugins now with failing tests when bumping to this core)

/James

Tim Jacomb

May 11, 2021, 6:05:58 AM5/11/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
The bridge method injector project looks abandoned? We may need to fork it to release a fix

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/c1032e1c-b60b-4780-8d9e-a4fd116f9c36n%40googlegroups.com.

jn...@cloudbees.com

May 11, 2021, 7:34:27 AM5/11/21
to Jenkins Developers
https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-65605 for tracking purposes.

KK has been pinged to see if someone can get access, (even if just to approve a transfer request).

/James

jn...@cloudbees.com

May 13, 2021, 5:12:03 AM5/13/21
to Jenkins Developers
bridge-method-injector 1.21 has been released.