Java 9 support in the core - Any plans?

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 19, 2017, 3:11:14 AM7/19/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

So, Java 9 story finally becomes real. We have some Java 9 compatibility reports from early adopters, which I have tried to aggregate in this EPIC: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-40689 . So far it seems that Jenkins is not going to work correctly in Java 9, even if we forget about the Jigsaw fun. Seems to be a big chunk of work, at least it will require much testing.

Does anybody have plans to work on Java 9 compatibility in middle-term?

BR, Oleg

Arnaud Héritier

Jul 19, 2017, 3:32:34 AM7/19/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oleg,

  Are you talking about running/executing Jenkins (and agents) on Java 9 and/or using Java 9 in Jenkins jobs (and thus having installers working ...).
  I imagine both topics but the second one is more important (and should requires less efforts) I think than the first one.

  (I'm excluding the story to target Java 9 as build/deployment requirement, it's a bit too early :-) )

Cheers

-----
Arnaud Héritier
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 19, 2017, 10:19:07 AM7/19/17
to Jenkins Developers
Are you talking about running/executing Jenkins (and agents) on Java 9 and/or using Java 9 in Jenkins jobs (and thus having installers working ...)

Both. As a remoting "maintainer" I am mostly aware about the first topic. If you are talking about RPM/DEB/&Co installers, then yes, it's a part of the story.

P.S: If you mean tool installers... Really, I have never used Java tool installers. Custom Tool Plugin was my silver bullet for tool management. :)

BR, Oleg