Install extra Software with plugin installation

Johann

Mar 28, 2018, 3:23:18 AM3/28/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello guys,

I am wondering if its possible to install external software automatically while installing a plugin?

Its not much to ask here, so I hope thats enough and you understand my question

Best Regards,

Johann

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 4, 2018, 4:38:02 AM4/4/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Johann,

Apparently not enough.
Could you please provide some examples?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Johann

Apr 9, 2018, 7:49:32 AM4/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

Lets say, I am writing a plugin which needs to be working an Installtion of, for example Visual Studio. Right now, to use this plugin you always need to download and install Visual Studio manually beforehand. Is it possible, that with the moment I am downloading my plugin in my Jenkins system, that my plugin is downloading and installing that Visual Studio for me, so I dont need to do that manually anymore? Visual Studio can be any other software here, it was just an example

Best regards

Johann

Apr 9, 2018, 7:58:03 AM4/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
Lets say, I am writing a plugin which needs an working installation of ...*

*I am bit crazy, I fixed my errors for better unterstanding

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 9, 2018, 9:18:58 AM4/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
There are ToolInstallation and ToolInstaller extension points for it.

With these extension points you can implement custom tool installation logic and then enable the tool for the build (e.g. by adding a BuildWrapper or ToolInstallation invocation in your build step). If you do not want to write your own plugins, there is Custom Tools Plugin which can do the job.

In all cases the tools will be installed when a job needing them runs on a node on the first time.

Hopefully it helps,

Oleg