Simple pull request job plugin (GSOC 2018 project)

Abhishek Gautam

Apr 26, 2018, 3:57:29 PM4/26/18
to Jenkins Developers
Previous discussion,

By Oleg Nenashev,

Hi all,

I suggest to think a bit about the repo name. IMHO the proposed design needs some discussion.

Over last weeks I did some surveys about existing Jenkins & YAML projects. Here are some ones I discovered:

These things maybe interesting for you to research while designing the project. Although there are such "competing" projects, IMHO it even makes this GSoC project much more relevant and impactful if the project is integrated with Pipeline ecosystem. Offering such YAML support OOTB in Pipeline ecosystem may be a blockbuster actually.

One of the ways I see it:

    • Implement one of existing YAML => Pipeline engines, as FlowDefinition and ScmFlowDefinition for Pipeline
      • It would give integration with the Pipeline ecosystem and give your project tremendous amount of features OOTB
    • Work on YAML in order to offer more integrations and syntax sugar
    • Another interesting option could be YAML => Declarative Pipeline, which could use the same approaches as above

WDYT? i have also added Nicolas De Loof (CodeShip plugin creator) to CC. He may have some inputs.

Best regards,
Oleg

By Nicolas de loof

For the record, I created codeship plugin as a proof of concept to bring a simpler, yaml based model to Jenkins. It consumes yaml as a FlowDefinition to produce equivalent CPS script, as this was the shortest path. For a longer terms implementation I'd like it just implement those steps by itself without any CPS stuff running in the background, just running containers and waiting for them to complete.

j.kn...@travelaudience.com

Apr 27, 2018, 11:55:36 AM4/27/18
to Jenkins Developers
For those new to the thread, here's a link to the GSoC project https://jenkins.io/projects/gsoc/2018/simple-pull-request-job-plugin/
which has a further link to the details of the proposal.

------------

Those are definitely good topics as starting points, thanks Oleg.

There was some other discussion in the Kubernetes Plugin recently regarding adding yaml usage in pipeline configuration.
First there was this PR to allow for k8s yaml configuration to define the pod setup using this plugin: https://github.com/jenkinsci/kubernetes-plugin/pull/275

But in a PR about two weeks ago, there was a comment that Andrew Bayer was questioning the usage of yaml:
(these PRs are not as related as the links from Oleg, but they should still be considered with this project)

---------------

My understanding is that we have just a week before work needs to be started on the project, so maybe a long deep discussion of the repo name shouldn't block the starting of work. But instead we create a repo with the original GSoC project name, with the potential that it needs to be renamed before the project completes. Is that an option?

/Jeff

martinda

May 2, 2018, 4:49:54 PM5/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Abhishek, Kristin, Jeff and Oleg,

We held the first community bonding meeting today on Simple Pull-Request Plugin (SPRP), and I captured some notes.
Anyone with the link can comment, if I have missing something let me know via a comment. If capturing notes like this becomes too much of a burden, we'll revise this decision.

Best,
Martin