how to set up a plugin update site on an offline machine

Tom Brus

Nov 12, 2018, 9:53:20 AM11/12/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to make a jenkins plugin download site for a machine on my offline network.
I found the github project https://github.com/jenkins-infra/update-center2 with which the regular update sites are presumably build.

I would ideally like to redirect the plugin manager in jenkins to some local 'file:/' url where I store my plugin tree.
If I then regularly transfer the recent plugin tree I could keep my isolated jenkins server uptodate!
Furthermore I would like to limit the set of plugins in the file tree to the ones I can use with my jenkins version to reduce transfer size.

I have run the script in the update-center2 project and I seem to get some tree(s) but I can not use them in jenkins
because I get the error:

java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors

anybody any hints on how to proceed?

I used a self signed cert, that might be the cause of the above problem.... any hints on how to make a usable cert?
I would like to circumvent the signing completely just to simplify things, since all communication is local and offline I think signing is unnecessary.

Thanks,
Tom Brus

Slide

Nov 12, 2018, 10:41:51 AM11/12/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
You may want to look at https://github.com/jenkinsci/juseppe, it recently became part of the jenkinsci org on Github and I've heard some good things about it.

Tom Brus

Nov 13, 2018, 4:38:35 AM11/13/18
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Slide, that is exactly what I needed....

...unfortunately the error also occurs with juseppe:

Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors

I followed the juseppe readme, I am using Jenkins 2.151 running on jdk1.8.0_144.

any ideas...?

-Tom

Tom Brus

Nov 13, 2018, 5:20:14 AM11/13/18
to Jenkins Developers
Yeah, solved it!

in short:
you need to copy your crt to $JENKINS_HOME/update-center-rootCAs/my.crt

for more detail:

Thanks again.

-Tom

Daniel Beck

Nov 13, 2018, 6:58:45 AM11/13/18
to Jenkins Developers

> On 13. Nov 2018, at 10:38, Tom Brus <tom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I followed the juseppe readme, I am using Jenkins 2.151 running on jdk1.8.0_144.

To clarify, the cert gets rejected even if you put it in the configuration of the Update Sites Manager plugin?