[GSoC 2018] [Student Introduction] Code Coverage API Plugin

Share Cheng

Feb 14, 2018, 5:18:44 AM2/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

My English name is Share Cheng and I am a third-year student in Computer Science and Technology at Henan University from China. I want to find an internship in the summer, and I think this is a good opportunity for me to practicing my coding skill and contacting the open source community.

I am familiar with Java. I have some experience in back-end development and Android development. I am now interested in Code Coverage API Plugin, I think I can learn many interesting and useful things from this project. and I also don't have much sense of testing which is very important in the formal software development, so it is also a good practice for me to familiar with testing. I am unfamiliar with Jenkins yet, but I will try my best to study Jenkins in next several weeks and will try my best to contribute to Jenkins community.

This is my GitHub page. I do not have many ideas about this draft and I hope I can get some advice from mentors and Jenkins community.

Thanks,
Share Cheng.

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 14, 2018, 8:27:24 AM2/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

Thanks for the interest! Jenkins project already has integrations for some Code Coverage tools (e.g. Cobertura, Emma, JaCoCo). In Jenkins plugins we offer a JaCoCo profile by default (see plugin POM). If you want to study Jenkins a bit, my recommendation would be to start from creating a simple Jenkins Pipeline, which builds a plugin and publishes Unit test and Coverage reports. It will help you to get more infor about Jenkins and to try a coverage plugin so that you can get more ideas for your project idea

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Feb 15, 2018, 7:08:56 AM2/15/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi

         I am Abhishek , currently i am working in SAP labs as a software developer intern and for development we use jenkins, gerrit etc. I am very familiar with the jenkins and also experienced unit testing using Junit . While working I also thought about merging the result of cobertura , jacoco etc .
I am thinking of developing a dashboard where all merged  result can be seen and analysis can be done there.
I am in final year of engineering and this my last chance for GSOC.

Thanks,
Abhishek  Rajgure

 my website

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 17, 2018, 4:26:56 AM2/17/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello Abhishek,

Yes, let's continue in this thread so that we can aggregate the discussion with both Share and you.

While working I also thought about merging the result of cobertura , jacoco etc .

Once the proposed Coverage API plugin is implemented and adopted by exisitng Coverage plugins, it should happen automagically. It has to happen anyway for things like parallel testing with coverage reporting.

BR, Oleg