[Plugin Hosting Request]

Татьяна Горецкая

Sep 24, 2015, 9:49:44 AM9/24/15
to Jenkins Developers

Hello,

I’ve developed a new Jenkins plugin allows to integrate SonarQube with Gerrit. This plugin can send Sonar report to Gerrit as review, and SonarQube issues become comments in Gerrit. It is also allows user to filter issues by several attributes and customise review message and comment body.

This project is located on GitHub:  https://github.com/aquarellian/genar

I expect my Jenkins repository to be named “sonar-gerrit-plugin”

My username in GitHub is aquarellian, as well as on jenkins-ci.

I've started to fill out wiki page for my plugin already: https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Sonar+Gerrit

Tatiana.

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Sep 24, 2015, 2:25:20 PM9/24/15
to Jenkins Developers
Hi, it probably makes sense to remove hpi binaries and filter-branch repository. It is usually a good tone to not commit binaries.
(Hint: you can attach binaries to GH releases page).

This class looks like not used?

Татьяна Горецкая

Sep 25, 2015, 2:22:51 PM9/25/15
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,
I've removed binaries and unused classes and branches from repo (thank you for your hint!).

Jesse Glick

Sep 25, 2015, 3:38:30 PM9/25/15
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Татьяна Горецкая <aquar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've removed binaries and unused classes and branches from repo

Not sure if the files deleted in

https://github.com/aquarellian/genar/commit/c81fdbadc4496f52b99e0e571ac01d5eaa59c81f

are big enough to matter, but if so, try:
https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/

Tatiana Didik

Sep 25, 2015, 6:15:32 PM9/25/15
to Jenkins Developers
Thank you, Jesse!
Got rid of binary files in repository.

Anything else?

Tatiana Didik

Sep 26, 2015, 12:05:58 PM9/26/15
to Jenkins Developers
I've also renamed my GitHub repository to https://github.com/aquarellian/Jenkins-Sonar-Gerrit-Plugin

Tatiana Didik

Sep 27, 2015, 6:13:12 PM9/27/15
to Jenkins Developers
Any update on this?

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Sep 27, 2015, 6:14:44 PM9/27/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Please wait until somebody will process your request. Process is manual and most people on weekend.
right repo name should be sonar-gerrit-plugin (without jenkins and upper case letters).

Kirill Merkushev

Sep 27, 2015, 6:22:04 PM9/27/15
to Jenkins Developers
Just for my interest - why not sonar plugin, but jenkins sonar plugin?

Tatiana Didik

Sep 27, 2015, 6:50:36 PM9/27/15
to Jenkins Developers
Kanstantsin, thank you for your hint. I've renamed it. (Now it is https://github.com/aquarellian/sonar-gerrit-plugin)

Kirill, When I was choosing the name for my GitHub repository, I thought that those people who find it in my repo have no idea that the plugin is for Jenkins and might get wrong impression that it should be installed to Sonar instance and connected to Gerrit directly. So, from my point of view, the first word in the name of plugin should be a platform on that it is supposed to be installed.
But when it hosted by Jenkins community, there is no need to mention "Jenkins" in the name of plugin. (Though it is gonna be separate repository, as I understand, and my thoughts about name of repository on my own GitHub account still not changed. But I've changed the name anyway - hope people will find out the description in the README file.)

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Sep 27, 2015, 6:56:20 PM9/27/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Right, but having ‘jenkins’ word under jenkinsci account is redundant. Bot can rename repo during fork, but sometimes it causes issues, so better have it the same.
Also, as i see you deleted binaries with commit but without filter-branching?

Kirill question was about sonar plugin. Sonar also allows writing plugins, example is github-plugin http://docs.sonarqube.org/display/PLUG/GitHub+Plugin ;) Or did we miss understand the goal of plugin?

Tatiana Didik

Sep 27, 2015, 7:24:03 PM9/27/15
to Jenkins Developers

>>sometimes it causes issues
Thanks, that makes sense.

>>Sonar also allows writing plugins
Yes, that's why I mentioned Jenkins in previous name.

Why didn't I create just plugin for sonar?
I think, my plugin would be useful for people who uses Sonar, Gerrit and Jenkins together.
Let's imagine someone needs his change to be reviewed; first of all it should be built by continuous integration engine (Jenkins in our case). If build fails, the change should not be commited to master branch and using gerrit-trigger plugin it can be "rejected" by getting mark "-1". But if it is successful it would be better if it will be checked by automatic quality management platform (Sonar) first, not by humans, because it will take less time. Only after successful passing the automatic quality check it supposed to be verified by human - when Sonar issues are already fixed or marked at least. It can save heaps of time for reviewers.
And I don't know if that possible to synchronise this process using separate sonar plugin: at the time when sonar will post its comments, the change can already be approved by reviewer - or at least has already stolen some of his time.

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Sep 27, 2015, 7:34:43 PM9/27/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Sep 28, 2015, at 02:24, Tatiana Didik <aquar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>sometimes it causes issues
Thanks, that makes sense.

>>Sonar also allows writing plugins
Yes, that's why I mentioned Jenkins in previous name.

Why didn't I create just plugin for sonar?
I think, my plugin would be useful for people who uses Sonar, Gerrit and Jenkins together.
Let's imagine someone needs his change to be reviewed; first of all it should be built by continuous integration engine (Jenkins in our case). If build fails, the change should not be commited to master branch and using gerrit-trigger plugin it can be "rejected" by getting mark "-1". But if it is successful it would be better if it will be checked by automatic quality management platform (Sonar) first, not by humans, because it will take less time. Only after successful passing the automatic quality check it supposed to be verified by human - when Sonar issues are already fixed or marked at least. It can save heaps of time for reviewers.
And I don't know if that possible to synchronise this process using separate sonar plugin: at the time when sonar will post its comments, the change can already be approved by reviewer - or at least has already stolen some of his time.
Sonar has their own modes for verification (http://docs.sonarqube.org/display/SONAR/Getting+Issues+Report+in+Preview+Mode ). Sonar uses maven for doing build verification and it more generic because doesn’t lock you on jenkins. You can even run analysing from CLI with plain maven.

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 28, 2015, 3:16:28 AM9/28/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Hi, late to the train, but shouldn't this plugin better be named sonarqube... instead of sonar... ?

Sonar was renamed sonarqube now a significant time ago. And IMO only existing plugins sometimes keep this naming scheme for backward compatibility reasons.

Cheers

Tatiana Didik

Sep 28, 2015, 11:11:37 AM9/28/15
to Jenkins Developers, m...@batmat.net
To Baptiste:
Well, but name sonarqube-gerrit is more complicated to spell or pronounce :) but if it would be better to use that name, I would not mind.

To Kanstantsin:
Well, there are some reasons:

First, https://github.com/tech-advantage/sonar-gerrit-plugin plugin doesn't work in preview or incremental preview mode in SonarQube 5.1 and should  be restored only in SonarQube 5.2. Or should not, depends on SonarQube team decision. It's quite dangerous to base so important interaction between Sonar and Gerrit on instability of SonarQube plugins policy. From plugin troubleshooting guide:

Q : When using SonarQube 5.1 and running analysis in preview or incremental mode, results are not sent back to Gerrit
A : SonarQube 5.1 dropped the execution of the PostJob part of plugins in preview and incremental mode. It should be restored in 5.2. If you still need to execute the plugin in SonarQube 5.1, you have to run the analysis in normal mode. CAUTION : running in normal mode records every analysis results in SonarQube's database. It might not be what you want.

So to utilize the plugin you have to run in normal mode what is against preview matter of Gerrit verification.

Second, my plugin is much closer to basic approach - tool is responsible to leave artifacts in workspace, Jenkins plugin is responsible to process and visualize it. File sonar-report.json is used by my plugin and generated by Sonar in preview and incremental modes is implementation of that approach. Additionally, this file is much stronger contract between Sonar and report consumers. It's used for IDE integration, for example. So probability to have contract broken is much less.

Third, my plugin has no dependency on SonarQube plugin for Jenkins. You can run Sonar with mvn sonar:sonar or any other way in preview mode and that's it. The only dependency is GerritTrigger, but if you have Gerrit, you have Gerrit Trigger. Additionally my plugin reuses configuration from Gerrit Trigger, what makes you able to push comments to exactly Gerrit instance was used for job without additional efforts.

Tatiana Didik

Oct 2, 2015, 8:40:29 PM10/2/15
to Jenkins Developers
Are you satisfied with my answer?

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Oct 2, 2015, 8:46:04 PM10/2/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Beck, Oleg Nenashev
Hi, my questions wasn’t a blocker. I was interesting in what to what integrates and now totally missed point.

Daniel, Oleg could you assist?

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 2, 2015, 8:53:09 PM10/2/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, aquar...@gmail.com
Sorry for a long delay and your patience. Welcome aboard!

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Tatiana Didik (Goretskaya)

Oct 2, 2015, 8:57:21 PM10/2/15
to Kohsuke Kawaguchi, jenkin...@googlegroups.com