[GSoC 2018] UPDATE for CODE Coverage API Plugin

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 14, 2018, 3:04:51 AM3/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi
    Myself Abhishek, final year student as well as Intern at SAP labs . I am experienced with Jenkins as Sap uses Jenkins for continuous integration.
    I have worked on merging result of jacoco and cobertura . I developed a program that will convert jacoco result into cobertura result ,which helps us to see only one reult for all project. jacoco generate code coverage only for java  and cobertura does generate coverage for most of the technologies(javascript , java) but problem with cobertura is that it does not support Java 1.7 or greater. TO overcome this problem i have developed a program which is able to generate code coverage
in future i wish  to merge results of different coverage tools

linkedin-https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhishek-rajguru-655b4910b/

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 14, 2018, 4:56:09 PM3/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi, thanks for the interest!

As we discussed at the office hours, you were interested in introducing an intermediate converter as a part of the Coverage API plugin. Could you please provide more details about your idea so that other mentors could comment?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 15, 2018, 7:37:25 AM3/15/18
to Jenkins Developers
                                                                                     Various plugins  are available  which currently implement code coverage (jacoco,

EclEmma,clover plugin, cobertura plugin, clover php plugin, etc), Instead of having one plugin for each code coverage

result it would be best if we could merge them all into one plugin which will handle code coverage.

my approach
  1. develope intermediate converters for each code coverage reporting tool which will convert its result into one format
  2. develope a jenkins plugin which is collection of this converters as well as it has functionality of showing combined result

    In Past week i was able to convert jacoco results into cobertura result,
    and converted jacoco files are recognized by cobertura plugin of jenkins so i was able to see combined result
    of previous cobertura result in addition to this converted result

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 15, 2018, 8:23:48 AM3/15/18
to Jenkins Developers
i am waiting to show demo of my work ,such that i will get yours feedback and work according to that,
also i will be working  on  my proposal

Ullrich Hafner

Mar 15, 2018, 6:56:46 PM3/15/18
to Jenkins Developers
Your approach sounds very reasonable. The same approach is used by the xunit plugin (converts different test results to JUnit format) and a similar but slightly different approach is used by the warnings plugin (converts different warning logs to an object model). I think that both of these approaches make sense. With the former one you can reuse the UI completely from the target format. The disadvantage is that there might be some information loss when converting to another format (there is coverage data *and* source code if I remember correctly: everything must be supported by the target). With the latter approach you can define the model on your own. However, you need to write the UI again (or adapt one of the other ones). So I think the simpler solution would be your suggested approach. Here you need to carefully select which of the tools (and which Jenkins plugin) should be the target.

signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 17, 2018, 4:24:31 PM3/17/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Abhishek,

Do you want to demo your project during common office hours?
Or do you want to setup a separate meeting for that?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 19, 2018, 10:07:04 AM3/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
can you guys suggest me some time slots according to your schedule ,
i wish you too show my work and discuss about the another possible solution for this problem.

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 19, 2018, 10:14:26 AM3/19/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
I have reached out to the project mentors.
IIUC they are going to setup a meeting to this week, stay tuned.

BR, Oleg

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay <iit20...@iiita.ac.in> wrote:
can you guys suggest me some time slots according to your schedule ,
i wish you too show my work and discuss about the another possible solution for this problem.

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 20, 2018, 2:42:10 AM3/20/18
to Jenkins Developers

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 25, 2018, 4:05:00 PM3/25/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 25, 2018, 4:33:19 PM3/25/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi,

Thanks for the proposal!
Your document is view-only, so I cannot review it. Could you please allow comments for any user with the link?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 25, 2018, 4:54:03 PM3/25/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
i have changed it ,can you please review it now

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 25, 2018, 6:18:22 PM3/25/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Now I cannot open it at all. Please use a separate window in private mode to verify permissions.

BR, Oleg

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 26, 2018, 2:51:09 AM3/26/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
hi oleg
sorry for that , i changed it now can you please review it

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 26, 2018, 2:46:11 PM3/26/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
HI,

i have read all comments and made some improvements to proposal
i would request you to review it
here is the link

Rajgure Abhishek Sanjay Abhishek Sanjay

Mar 27, 2018, 8:56:03 AM3/27/18
to Jenkins Developers
hello
  i would request  all to please review my proposal before final submission

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 27, 2018, 9:57:31 AM3/27/18
to Jenkins Developers
done.
Please submit it as soon as possible, you may experience difficulties during the last hours before the deadline