Trademark sublicense request: CloudBees Jenkins Metrics

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 7, 2018, 11:29:40 AM3/7/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On behalf of CloudBees, I’d like to request the permission to use the following name that uses ‘Jenkins’ in it:
  • CloudBees Jenkins Metrics
To help people understand how this name is going to be used, let me describe a bit about the effort for which we’d like to use this name.

Back several years ago, we have requested the sublicense to use ‘CloudBees Jenkins Analytics,’ which was subsequently approved. It is a feature that is a part of our products. It has evolved since then, and we’d like to give it a new name to more accurately reflect what it is.

When we look at name approval requests like this, a key criteria is to make sure it doesn’t create confusion about the origin of the effort. From that perspective, this name has ‘CloudBees’ clearly in front of it, and it is consistent with other names that are already approved. The situation and the considerations that led to the approval of the past requests hasn't really changed, so I hope the new name doesn’t raise any eyebrows and result in a smooth approval.

I’ve put this up as an agenda for Mar 14th project meeting to be able to get a decision there. If you have any concerns or objections, please chime in on this thread prior to the meeting, so that we can address them.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 8, 2018, 7:46:22 AM3/8/18
to Jenkins Developers
Generally the request looks good to me.
OTOH it would be great to get feedback from the maintainer of the Metrics Plugin (Stephen Connolly?).
If CloudBees plans to release a "CloudBees Jenkins Metrics Plugin" as a part of this new product, it may cause some confusion.

BR, Oleg

Stephen Connolly

Mar 8, 2018, 9:41:11 AM3/8/18
to Jenkins Developers
I personally find that the proposed name could cause confusion with the Metrics plugin, however given that the Metrics plugin was developed on company time, I feel it would be disingenuous of me to leverage a side-effect of being paid to do that development that has resulted in me being the maintainer of the plugin in order to apply my personal opinions to the same company.

In any case, as an employee of CloudBees, I feel I have to recuse myself from the debate.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 8, 2018, 5:26:18 PM3/8/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I think the presence of the "CloudBees" as a prefix has such overriding clarity in terms of the origin of the effort, that I'm having hard time imagining that creates a confusion in that regard. It is true that they share the same "Metrics" part, but that's not the trademarked part.

That said, I inquired on this point and I learned that it is technically true that there exists a jpi file whose display name is "CloudBees Jenkins Metrics plugin."

But Metrics plugin and CloudBees Jenkins Metrics operate on different planes. Metrics plugin is a library plugin, and it's by and large relevant only for those who "open the engine room." CloudBees Jenkins Metrics is a feature of a product that show up in brochures and collateral. It's a little bit like workflow-*-plugin and Pipeline. The former is a unit of distribution and development and a concern to contributors, the latter is a unit of feature and a concern to users.

In addition to that, CloudBees Jenkins Metrics plugin is not distributed the same way Metrics plugin is. The former is a restricted access plugin that's only available to customers, and the latter is a plugin that's on the community update center.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

R. Tyler Croy

Mar 9, 2018, 1:33:55 PM3/9/18
to Kohsuke Kawaguchi, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Wed, 07 Mar 2018, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:

> On behalf of CloudBees, I???d like to request the permission to use the
> following name that uses ???Jenkins??? in it:
>
> - CloudBees Jenkins Metrics
>
> To help people understand how this name is going to be used, let me
> describe a bit about the effort for which we???d like to use this name.

From my perspective, this sublicense request looks reasonable to me, with all
the typical caveats about CloudBees, Inc. having a responsibility to ensure the
trademark attribution, etc, etc.

While I think it is excessive and silly to name things in this manner, with
more syllables than I can count on one hand, that's not objectionable for our
trademark sublicenses. :)

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F
signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 9, 2018, 8:08:53 PM3/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
I interpret Stephen's response as "I don't object". In such case I confirm that I am fine with the request. Even if a request about this product occasionally lands in Jenkins JIRA, we can close them and refer to this thread.

with all the typical caveats about CloudBees, Inc. having a responsibility to ensure the trademark attribution

Sure. Sometimes I discover improper usages on various 3rd-party resources (especially "CloudBees Jenkins"), but all ones I report get resolved quickly. So from my PoV CloudBees delivers on that well.

BR, Oleg