Trademark sublicense request: Jenkins Master Class

Parker Ennis

Oct 9, 2019, 4:52:10 PM10/9/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Tyler Smith, Buffi Gresh, Jeremy Hartley, Tracy Miranda, Mark Waite

Hi All,

On behalf of CloudBees, I’d like to request permission to use the following name with ‘Jenkins’ in it:
  • Jenkins Master Class

"Jenkins Master Class" will be a series of educational webinars hosted by CloudBees that invites experts from both the Jenkins community and CloudBees to team up and share their knowledge with others. The intent is to host 10+ webinars, or "courses," with a duration of about an hour each released on a monthly cadence. They will be recorded for future use. Here's a loose example of the concept from which we're drawing inspiration.

I will add this as an agenda item to the October 23rd project meeting to get a final decision there. If you have any concerns, objections or would like additional info on what we're doing, please chime in on this thread prior to the meeting so that we can address them. Thanks a lot!

Best,
--

Parker Ennis

Product Marketing Manager

CloudBees-Logo.png

M: (803) 386-7562
E: ren...@cloudbees.com
Skype: parker.cb
Twitter: @Parker_CB

Marky Jackson

Oct 9, 2019, 5:10:53 PM10/9/19
to JenkinsCI Developers, Tyler Smith, Buffi Gresh, Jeremy Hartley, Tracy Miranda, Mark Waite
I am still a +1 on this

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 9, 2019, 5:43:37 PM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers
I abstain.

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 11:10:53 PM UTC+2, Marky Jackson wrote:
I am still a +1 on this
On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:51 PM, Parker Ennis <ren...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

[...]

R. Tyler Croy

Oct 10, 2019, 9:28:30 AM10/10/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Tyler Smith, Buffi Gresh, Jeremy Hartley, Tracy Miranda, Mark Waite
(replies inline)

On Wed, 09 Oct 2019, Parker Ennis wrote:

> On behalf of CloudBees, I’d like to request permission to use the following
> name with ‘Jenkins’ in it:
>
> • Jenkins Master Class
>
> "Jenkins Master Class" will be a series of educational webinars hosted by
> CloudBees that invites experts from both the Jenkins community and CloudBees to
> team up and share their knowledge with others. The intent is to host 10+
> webinars, or "courses," with a duration of about an hour each released on a
> monthly cadence. They will be recorded for future use. Here's a loose [1]
> example of the concept from which we're drawing inspiration.

The "test" we have typically applied to such requests in the past was whether
the use of the mark was pecific to Jenkins, as opposed to including other
non-Jenkins applications/products.

For example, I have no problem with this so long as the content of the "master
class" are specifically around Jenkins as it is understood by the open source
community, i.e. open source plugins and core, etc.

If this "master class" were to contain Jenkins-based commercial products, such
as CLoudBees Core, then I would have an objection to the use of the Jenkins
trademark for the effort.

Knowledge sharing is certainly a noble goal, but for the use of the Jenkins
mark, the scope should be necessarily limited.

Toodles
---
GitHub: https://github.com/rtyler

GPG Key ID: 0F2298A980EE31ACCA0A7825E5C92681BEF6CEA2
signature.asc

Parker Ennis

Oct 11, 2019, 10:57:41 AM10/11/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Tyler Smith, Buffi Gresh, Jeremy Hartley, Tracy Miranda, Mark Waite
Thanks for the feedback, Tyler. Completely reasonable concerns.

We want to keep the focus on Jenkins as you mentioned and won't have content around CloudBees Core, for example. However, we will want to utilize the series to attract people to the support offering and use the content as a value add to support. CloudBees Jenkins Distribution, since it's free to all and only includes a few proprietary plugins, would be the other piece I'd hope that would be ok to include. At the end of the day, the intent is for this to be Jenkins specific. Thoughts?

Best,

Parker Ennis

Oct 22, 2019, 2:57:43 PM10/22/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Buffi Gresh, Tyler Smith, Jeremy Hartley, Tracy Miranda, Mark Waite
Hi All,

Is someone with write permissions able to add this item to the governance agenda for tomorrow since the wiki page is now read-only? That would be fantastic.

Best,

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 19, 2019, 11:40:43 AM11/19/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Just an update here, this request has been added to the Governance meeting agenda on Nov 20.

@Parker @Tyler did you finish your discussuin about "If this "master class" were to contain Jenkins-based commercial products, such as CLoudBees Core, then I would have an objection to the use of the Jenkins trademark for the effort."?

Best regards,
Oleg
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jenkin...@googlegroups.com.

--

Parker Ennis

Product Marketing Manager

CloudBees-Logo.png

M: (803) 386-7562
E: ren...@cloudbees.com
Skype: parker.cb
Twitter: @Parker_CB

Mark Waite

Nov 19, 2019, 12:31:07 PM11/19/19
to jenkinsci-dev
+1 from me to grant this trademark license request.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/95fc6c3b-034d-4879-a161-8d4423816b08%40googlegroups.com.

--
Thanks!
Mark Waite

Parker Ennis

Nov 19, 2019, 5:15:25 PM11/19/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Buffi Gresh, Tyler Smith, Jeremy Hartley
Thanks, Oleg! In reply to your question, we didn't discuss more after the initial exchange but I'm happy to do so.

I like the way that Buffi described our intent for the webinar series (I don't think her original reply went through since she's not in the jenkinsci-dev Google group): "Just to be extremely clear here, 100% of the expert course content will be applicable to Jenkins OSS. The only CloudBees-specific mention would be as suggestive call to action around our FREE -ALWAYS Jenkins Distribution and/or Advisor plugin. So, I believe we fit within the guidelines and spirit of the name."

Let me know if you have questions or concerns!

Best,

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/95fc6c3b-034d-4879-a161-8d4423816b08%40googlegroups.com.

Parker Ennis

Nov 19, 2019, 5:30:59 PM11/19/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Buffi Gresh, Tyler Smith, Jeremy Hartley
*FREE- Always CloudBees Jenkins Distribution 😉. Copy/paste got the best of me there!