GSoC - GitHub Checks API Project Announcement

Xiong Kezhi

May 16, 2020, 10:51:48 AM5/16/20
to Jenkins Developers

Hi all,

This post intents to invite everyone to join the GitHub Checks API Project which has been selected as Google Summer of Code project for this summer. Currently, this project in requirements collecting and designing phase, so we hope anyone who is interested or who would like to use this API in their plugins to join us and help us determine the scope, requirements, and so on.

Project Page:

https://www.jenkins.io/projects/gsoc/2020/projects/github-checks/

Team:

Student: Kezhi Xiong

Mentor: Ullrich Hafner

Mentor: Tim Jacomb

Mentor: Jeff Pearce

Mentor: Ayush Agarwal

Mentor: Sagar Utekar

Abstract:

The GitHub Checks API allows developers to report the CI integrations’ detail information rather than the binary pass/fail build status on GitHub pages. This project is about implementing this API as a new Jenkins plugin. By consuming this API, other plugins can easily create GitHub checks. Thus, any information during the Jenkins process like warnings, summaries, and durations can be directly shown on GitHub pages.

Meeting:

The project meeting is scheduled every Wednesday at 2:00 UTC with meeting notes available for all to read.

Chat:

We use gitter for chat, the link is https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/github-checks-api

Best regards,

Kezhi Xiong

Ullrich Hafner

May 17, 2020, 5:05:45 AM5/17/20
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Kezhi for summarizing the new project!

I would like to propose some user stories for my warnings plugin perspective so other plugin developers get some inspirations on what would be possible:

- As a developer I want to directly see each new warning that I have introduced in a pull request.

Example:

- As a developer I want to directly see a summary about the changed  code quality of a pull request.

Example:

- As a developer I want to directly see the status of a static analysis result in the summary box of a pull request.

Example: