Hosting ci.jenkins.io-runner in jenkinsci or jenkins-infra

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 14, 2018, 12:15:38 PM12/14/18
to JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-pipelin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Few weeks ago I have created a ci.jenkins.io-runner repository. This repository is my reference implementation of the Jenkinsfile Runner & Custom WAR Packager flow for creating custom single-shot Jenkins masters with built-in self-configuration logic. The flow is described here and here, and it is used in Jenkins X Serverless and in the JFR for GitHub Actions prototype .

As you may guess from the name, the repository tries to emulate the ci.jenkins.io configuration so that the package can be used to develop Jenkinsfiles and Jenkins Pipeline Library patches (e.g. for buildPlugin()).

So the repository can be used for several purposes:
  • Reference implementation of a tool for local Pipeline Development (Pipeline Authhoring SIG in CC)
  • Reference implementation of the CWP and JFR packaging flow
  • Playground for Jenkinsfile Runner contributors who may want to experiment with new features, e.g. Dependabot for autoupgrades (JENKINS-54834) or a Jenkinsfile Runner Test framework (JENKINS-54391)
  • Development tool for Jenkins contributors working on Jenkins Pipeline Library
Why do I ask about hosting?
Would be great to get your feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Slide

Dec 14, 2018, 12:58:54 PM12/14/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins-pipelin...@googlegroups.com
Does this support testing trusted stuff at all (e.g., isTrusted in the infra pipeline library)? Or is this mainly for non-trusted components?

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 14, 2018, 1:12:18 PM12/14/18
to Slide, JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-pipelin...@googlegroups.com
For infra.isTrusted() it will return false, but it may be possible to override it in JCasC if needed.

Generally ci.jenkins.io-runner has a number of limitations: https://github.com/oleg-nenashev/ci.jenkins.io-runner#limitations (e.g. DinD or Windows support), so I would not expect it to work for all cases.  oleg-nenashev/demo-jenkins-config-as-code can be used for a better replication of the ci.jenkins.io environment, but I have never tested packaging or Docker publishing flows there.

BR, Oleg

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Pipeline Authoring SIG" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkins-pipeline-authoring-sig/CAPiUgVfuP-M5Vx%2BJHipegwyRjdUdPn9ZCpmSskgyUn-6oxjMVg%40mail.gmail.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 18, 2019, 2:18:03 AM2/18/19
to Jenkins Developers
If nobody is against, I would like to proceed with hosting of the repo.
It has already proven its usability for some bits of the Jenkinsfile Runner and Pipeline Library development.

I will make sure that the repository explicitly documents its limitations and that it is NOT a full clone of ci.jenkjns.io

Best regards,
Oleg

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 10:15 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Slide