Proposal: Making the Hosting team official (and onboarding new members)

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 29, 2020, 5:09:27 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

In the Jenkins community we have an unofficial Hosting team which handles various requests related to plugin hosting (forking/transferring plugins, managing permissions and update center blacklists, etc.) There are multiple contributors involved in this activity on a regular basis, and it would be great to document these processes so that we could use these docs as a reference and as guidelines for onboarding new contributors to help with the hosting process. I would propose to create an official team and to introduce an onboarding process:

Proposal
  • Make the "Hosting Team" official, document its roles somewhere on jenkins.io. Scope: plugin and component hosting on Jenkins resources (GitHub, Update Centers, etc.)
  • Grant permissions to active contributors who are interested and who already have experience with the hosting process (e.g. Tim Jacomb, Wadeck Follonier)
  • Create new HOSTING/Mailing list triage guidelines
  • Invite interested contributors to help with triage of hosting requests as a first onboarding step to get permissions needed for GitHub / Update Site and Repository Permission Updater management
Team Responsibilities. Below there are some current responsibilities related to the hosting process. This list is likely incomplete, please feel free to add more items.
  • Triage and processing of new plugin HOSTING requests in Jenkins Jira. Currently Alex Earl champions it, and there are only a few contributors who help with the requests triage. Such triage is instrumental to...
    • Ensuring hosted plugins have proper artifactIds. We cannot easily change them later...
    • Do sanity check of plugins for security issues. Thanks to Alex Earl and the security team for handling it
    • Checking for duplication with existing plugins and offering to contribute there instead of hosting a new plugin (but not blocking hosting)
    • Plugin licenses (see this thread)
  • Processing plugin release permissions in Repository Permission Updater. There is a @jenkins-infra/hosting team handling it (Alex Earl, Baptiste Mathus and me)
  • Processing GitHub permission and Plugin adoption requests in the developer mailing list. There is a number of contributors replying to these requests, most of operations can be done via Jenkins IRC bot
  • Manual changes in GitHub repositories for some requests, e.g. plugin renaming. There is a @jenkinsci/github-admins team which manages such requests
  • Processing repo transfer requests (when maintainers want to transfer plugins instead of forking), via jenkinsci-transfer org or directly. There is a @jenkinsci/github-admins team which manages it
  • Processing blacklisting and plugin tagging/doc URL requests in /update-center2 for non-security reasons. It is currently handled by Daniel Beck and a number of other contributors
  • Maintaining the Plugin hosting, publishing and governance documentation in https://www.jenkins.io/doc/developer. Docs SIG is doing some cleanup
If we agree that we want to have a more official team, I will create a new page on jenkins.io for it, similar to the Core Maintainers Guide.

Also, looking for new contributors who would like to join the Hosting and the triage sub-team!

Thanks for your feedback,
Oleg

Richard Bywater

Apr 29, 2020, 5:51:22 AM4/29/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I think its a good idea to make as many of the teams as possible that are needed to keep Jenkins trucking along official & documented so the proposal makes sense to me.

I'm also interested in helping out the team to help spread the load around a bit.

Richard.

Tim Jacomb

Apr 29, 2020, 7:56:45 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers

Marky Jackson

Apr 29, 2020, 7:57:52 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
This is a great idea and I am a +1

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 29, 2020, 8:01:31 AM4/29/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi all. Just to make sure, +1 for the proposal or +1 for joining the teams? :)

Marky Jackson

Apr 29, 2020, 8:02:23 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
For me it is both. +1 for the proposal and +1 to join

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLCwuXA4e_aohdG2H%2BZHUeZD966DAP5n6wtCJHv6063iog%40mail.gmail.com.

signature.asc

Tim Jacomb

Apr 29, 2020, 8:06:25 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1 to both, although not planning on it being a primary focus, I'll help out where and when I can

Thanks
Tim

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 29, 2020, 8:38:24 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Tim and Marky,

Any help there will be appreciated, any bandwidth improvements and higher bus factor would be great.
Will wait for feedback from Alex Earl and other contributors before touching permissions, working on guidelines.

Everyone is welcome to subscribe to channels (dev mailing list, HOSTING project in Jira, reporsitory-permission-updater).
No special permissions needed to do that and to start contributing and helping users there.

BR, Oleg

On Apr 29, 2020, at 5:01 AM, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all. Just to make sure, +1 for the proposal or +1 for joining the teams? :)

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 29, 2020, 8:39:01 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
And thanks to Richard! Much appreciated

Slide

Apr 29, 2020, 10:59:20 AM4/29/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'm a definite +1 on this. More people looking at the requests and such would definitely be helpful and more people means more ideas on how to streamline and improve the process.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/fc1265ba-389c-436f-85dc-a2ae92b91b4e%40googlegroups.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 29, 2020, 11:10:08 AM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
I created a pull request to jenkins.io with the page for the Hosting team: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/3142

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 4:59:20 PM UTC+2, slide wrote:
I'm a definite +1 on this. More people looking at the requests and such would definitely be helpful and more people means more ideas on how to streamline and improve the process.

Sladyn Nunes

Apr 29, 2020, 11:12:27 AM4/29/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1 on this proposal, I would love to learn and contribute wherever I can.
Thanks and stay safe

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/ba42b3db-f608-451f-aef4-324f6aeba086%40googlegroups.com.

Vlad Silverman

Apr 29, 2020, 12:26:17 PM4/29/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Great idea! I am +1 for both

Gavin Mogan

Apr 29, 2020, 12:32:24 PM4/29/20
to Jenkins Developers
I'm +1 for formalizing processes and spreading  out the load.

I'm also volunteering for said team. With the exception of the hosting jira tickets I have been trying to review and reply to emails and chat requests as much as I can

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 30, 2020, 7:58:37 AM4/30/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

The first version of the Hosting team documentation is live: https://www.jenkins.io/project/teams/hosting/. There is a section for newcomer contributors who are interested to help in this area: https://www.jenkins.io/project/teams/hosting/#assisting-with-qa-and-request-reviews. Thanks to everyone who is interested, welcome aboard!

To have a group for the new onboarding team without merge permissions, I created @jenkins-infra/hosting-contributors. The name is not ideal since we have @jenkins-infra/hosting for the team members with full permissions. Suggestions about better naming are more than welcome.

I also created https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/INFRA-2599 to get Richard added to the jenkins-infra organization, I have no permissions to invite members.

Best regards,
Oleg

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 6:32:24 PM UTC+2, Gavin Mogan wrote:
I'm +1 for formalizing processes and spreading  out the load.

I'm also volunteering for said team. With the exception of the hosting jira tickets I have been trying to review and reply to emails and chat requests as much as I can

On Wed., Apr. 29, 2020, 9:26 a.m. Vlad Silverman, <vsilv...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great idea! I am +1 for both
On Apr 29, 2020, at 5:02 AM, Marky Jackson <marky....@gmail.com> wrote:

For me it is both. +1 for the proposal and +1 to join
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to jenkin...@googlegroups.com.

YanJun Shi

May 9, 2020, 10:44:57 PM5/9/20
to Jenkins Developers
I hope to join this team and contribute my strength

Oleg Nenashev

May 14, 2020, 3:58:14 PM5/14/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi, thanks for your interest! You are welcome to join and to start contributing to hosting reviews. No special permissions needed to get started: https://www.jenkins.io/project/teams/hosting/#assisting-with-qa-and-request-reviews

And thanks for submitting ICLA!

YanJun Shi

May 15, 2020, 9:51:33 AM5/15/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Okay. Thank you for your help, Oleg. I already have done the 4 steps, Is there any other steps I need to do?

  1. Subscribe to the Jenkins Developer Mailing list

  2. Subscribe to the HOSTING project in Jenkins Jira

  3. Subscribe to the Repository Permission Updater repository

  4. Subscribe to the Jenkins Update Center repository

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLC1J9H7-EdM5O8kzqMONX-XO3UkiyWQVAJi4kRF0OWugA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Shi Yanjun(yJunS)

slide

May 18, 2020, 6:04:15 PM5/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
FYI, there are a couple of hosting requests that could use a review right now if anyone wants to take a look. I am going to put up a page on jenkins.io for things to look for in the code. I would recommend waiting until the automated checker (it shows up as me, Alex Earl) marks things as good to go for a human review of the code. Before that happens, the developers of the plugin need to have certain things in place and correct before we even consider doing a review of the code. I'll try and get that doc up on jenkins.io this week.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 27, 2021, 7:47:40 AM4/27/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who contributed to Hosting request processing as a part of the previous discussions. As you may have seen in another thread, Alex has stepped down from leading the Hosting team. Thanks a lot to Alex for all the contributions and the hosting process automation! We will be looking for a new team lead and more contributors, anyone is welcome!

I have started a Doodle for the knowledge transfer session about the Hosting process: https://doodle.com/poll/xiqmx4hxfdt8s4in?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link . Hopefully Alex would be available so that we could discuss and document parts not yet documented in https://www.jenkins.io/project/teams/hosting/ and other related pages. If you are interested to contribute, please vote for the timeslots!

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev
Jenkins Board Member